Shakers and screens for digging

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

flasherr

Reaction score
i would like to see pictures and plans of what people use for screening dirt from digs if they do. I have been wanting to build on but haven't come up with an idea that i really like. i know its a simple thing to build but i would like to learn a little something form The more experienced diggers,
Thanks in advance Brian

JOETHECROW

Reaction score
Northwestern Pa. (Near scenic Lake Perfidy)
Here's one I knocked together from an old Pepsi crate...plenty sturdy with built in handles.

3AF362DBF4994CA68C3703837985EAC0.jpg

Attachments

• 3AF362DBF4994CA68C3703837985EAC0.jpg
    3AF362DBF4994CA68C3703837985EAC0.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 46

diggerdirect

Reaction score
Heres a plan I got off the internet a couple years ago. We tweaked the dimensions somewhat making the base alittle longer & the sifter alittle shorter. Works fine, usually set on a pair of those folding sawhorses over a tarp or on a wheelbarrow.

Al

PrivySifter1.jpg

flasherr

Reaction score
thanks for the pictures. Digger how does it slide once it gets dirty? I saw a real neat screen a man made for arrow head hunting. he basicaly took a folding table legs and built a frame on top of them and a screen so it was all self contained. ive given idea to something with a vibrator on it possible 12v car battery or something you could hook to a drill battery. Not sure if they make a unit that would work on 12 or 18v. The only dump im able to dig right now is a good 3/4 mile hike in so you have to carry all supplies in with you.

Plumbata

Reaction score
My father, back in the day, made a sifter which hung from a frame, the frame being attached to 4 feet/legs. The screen was attached to the open frame with old mattress springs, so he would rather easily bounce/shake the sifter. He used it for removing rocks and debris from a garden plot we had.

diggerdirect

Reaction score
Digger how does it slide once it gets dirty?

That is a drawback of the slide frame I use, not a big deal but every couple buckets ya have to lift up the sifter and wipe the rails. Also we went to the galvanized 3/8" mesh (here they call it 'Hardware Cloth') as the 1/2" & bigger will let dime size stuff fall through, and the 1/4" takes way to many shakes to process a bucket & they back up.

Sifting a whole dump eh? Thats ambitious! & a power unit would seem in order, or a half dozen young fellas to help out!

We'll usually only sift out the use layers of a privy, and a year like last year so many were wet or had standing water making it impossible to even do that.

I like the look of the folding sifter on two legs surfaceone posted and figure I'll tinker around with that design waiting for the snow to go!

Al

CALDIGR2

Reaction score
My A-frame swinging screen works great for privies and point digging.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mlzeigler