Sheikh Al-Thani of Qatar has passed away

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

BARQS19

Reaction score

truedigr

Reaction score
He bought some of my bottles in the past, and no I didn't say they were rare and start them off at ridiculous prices. I admired him for his collecting and passion for Coke bottles. From what I was told, he was planning on opening a museum over there. He will be missed and my condolences go out to his family. R.I.P Sheikh

icollectfruitjars

Reaction score
Sold him a few bottles myself. One question to ponder... since he single handedly inflated the Coke bottle market, what happens if the entire collection is dispersed? Would it kill the Coke bottle market for years to come?

tigue710

Reaction score
it takes more then one bidder to inflate a price, for some reason everything he bid on of mine went through the roof though... so maybe he did do it all? He was a curious character, sorry to hear of his passing

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
tigue710 said:
it takes more then one bidder to inflate a price, for some reason everything he bid on of mine went through the roof though... so maybe he did do it all? He was a curious character, sorry to hear of his passing
I figure he must have hired two or more people to bid in proxy for him. In essence, he was bidding against himself.

icollectfruitjars

Reaction score
Maybe, but most people quickly realized they didn't need two people to bid an item up with him. Some used Buy it Nows, some used high starting prices, and others opted for shill bidding.

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
Eh, high BIN's starting prices and adding a reserve should of taken all them out. Well maybe plopping a 10K BIN would be only him. IDK

hemihampton

Reaction score
cowseatmaize said:
tigue710 said:
I figure he must have hired two or more people to bid in proxy for him. In essence, he was bidding against himself.
I know for a fact this is true. He had 3 different bidder names at one time & all 3 were being used at the same time. I know all 3 names. There was a Coke bottle with something like a high $2,000 opening bid. The Sheihk bids. Then the other Sheikh name outbids him & it jumps to $3,500. SO, in reality he outbid himself & made himshelf pay $1,500 more then he had to. Seems extremely Stupid. LEON.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kylese