Slippery black scummy crap!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

cait_p

Reaction score
Help!!!!! I've got a bunch of bottles with a slippery black substance on the outsides of them that I can't get to come off. I've tried vinegar, Dawn, OxyClean, I'm trying Listerene even as we spaek, I've been scrubbing my poor little dishpan hands off, but it's not budging! Any suggestions?

JohnRoy

Reaction score
You may want to try "Listeroil." -John

bubbas dad

Reaction score
try letting them soak in a bucket with barkeepers friend for about a week. scrubbing them with a small soft to medium bristle brush from time to time. you might want to check the older messages on this forum, there are lots of post here about cleaning bottles. you will be able to pick up lots of good info.

cait_p

Reaction score
Thanks for all the help. I've been looking thriugh all the old posts, but haven;t found anything that sounds like this stuff. Thanks again,

Cait

PS What's Listeroil?

Bottleman

Reaction score
It sounds like you may have an oil base substance on your bottles so you might want to try some paint thinner or paint stripper.

~~Tom

cait_p

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone! I let them soak in the BKF for a bit over a week, and they came beautifully clean! I even had an old emerald glass insulator I thought was black, it was sooo fouled up that is now clean as anything! So, thanks again.

Cait

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sneaky Pete