So where are the detector reports??

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

ironmountain

Reaction score
nothing going on up this way..the snow is melting though. it's been 40ish the past few days and is supposed to continue that trend. Ground is still soft too. Going to do some research on the rr tracks son and I bummed around on. going to see how far they go toward the mountain. There's a place up here called Fumee Lake. No fishing etc.. just there to look awesome and have RR grade trails to bike/run/walk. There's a bldg kind of hidden from the trail that used to be a pump house of some sort. I asked a local about it and he said it'd be a great place to MD and possibly dig. will have to have wife take me or wait til spring when I can bike it... (Only 4-5miles, but don't feel like walking that far, snooping around getting all muddy and then walking 4-5miles home again).

Been cleaning some of those car parts up, organizing books/bottles etc to sell off...

Looking to snag some curly birch or birch burls. Told wife that last time we were up and she brought back a 4' 3" thick birch "log"....kind of cute..had to show her what a burl is...

sounds like you're getting some "free" time to MD/dig a bit down there Rich. GL..hope you find some goodness...

Oh...if you're not doing anything at the present time with some of the silver plated silverware, I soon might be asking about it...few winter don't get bored projects going on....

k..out for now...

GL HH everyone

EBAKE9

Reaction score
Just getting into detecting and I bought a whites coinmaster pro, im not sure if its working right or if its just me. Seems like i get signals and start digging and find nothing, any help would be great

BellwoodBoys

Reaction score
That happens to me too. I watched an instrutional video on youtube about my specific detector and found useful tips.

Whites has videos for all of their detectors so I would say look there. Also, The coinmaster pro has tone I.D and Pinpoint. When you come across a good signal use the pinpoint.

MIdigger

Reaction score
Have you guys tried laying out some coins and running over them to discern the tones and readings?. I usually will take a 50 cent pc, qtr, dime, nickel and penny. Lay them on the ground, space them about a ft apart and then go over them. You can also do this with a gold ring, silver coins (instead of clad). Also, a zinc penny 1982-present (some 82s were also copper) and will ring in at a different tone than the copper pennies will.
Try re-reading the operators manual, and then try the coin test. It may take a bit, but once you find the "sweet spots" on your detector settings youll be raking it in. If you are new, a good place to start is the woodchip playground areas at schools and such. Generally the coins arent very deep, and you can get some exp. with the tones of your machines. Plus, you can find jewelry too. As with any maching, the more you use it the more you will become proficient with it. Dont get discouraged not finding a lot. Some days you may just find a couple things, and then a new location may never have been detected and youll find a pocketload.
Many detectorists will set the settings to just ring pennies/dimes/quarters/halves. This will eliminate finding gold, and nickels, and other jewelry. But, it allows you to zero in on basically silver and clad which is what most are after anyways. Kind of a personal choice. The settings including nickels and gold, will usually have you digging a lot of alum pull tabs, nails, that sort of junk....That can be worth it though. My gold 14kt ring was one such example. As they say, your mileage may vary. Hope that helps a bit guys. Maybe Iron will chime in with some more facts/data to help you. Will try to help any way I can. Good luck!!

EBAKE9

Reaction score
Thank you ill watch the videos and try laying some coins out and see what it does.

MIdigger

Reaction score
Decided to get out before the cold stuff hits this week. Did a bit of digging, a few bottles and some scrap copper and aluminum. Then decided to hit a few school areas. 2q,4d,4p, and 1 token. Not too much, but better than sitting in the house all day. Took a bit to open the dump up as the gound was frozen-5-6inches down. Hope spring gets here soon.

ironmountain

Reaction score
You are hardcore Rich... It went from nice and barely any snow last time I posted to 3" of snow and bitter winds. Today was -15 plus whatever the windchill was. tomorrow is supposed to be worse. Found an old set of chipping gouges & chisels that I forgot I pulled from the farm when cleaning it out. Japanese steel, look to never have been used. Those 12 plus my whittling/chipping set should give me enough fun this winter...

looks like I'm stuck doing research and such for now. GL if you get out again.

MIdigger

Reaction score
Well, the -25 windchills put an abrupt end to my digging/detecting. However, it was fun to be out and find some things. I was thinking about the letdown of not digging up any silverplate...Iam sure it will be there next time.
On a good note, next Tues/Wed 45 degrees--so maybe a possibility of something (dig/detect). Til then, only going to college and back. Did stop at the LCS yesterday. Picked up a few 90% pcs and a couple 2013 eagles.
Keep hoping spring gets here fast. Trying to make plans to go to KY in Mar on break--clean up on the quarters and coinage again down there.

E9 and BB--Have you guys got out anymore with the new machines? any luck? coins? jewelry?

ironmountain

Reaction score
well..no ability to dig/md for awhile. all last week the weather was a billion below zero...like i said, walking in it to dr appointments was horrid. felt like Randy in his snowsuit from Christmas Story. can't dig at inlaws either. they just recieved 52" of snow in the past few days.. and we have a bunch of snow coming. Looks like I'm going to have to actually become unlazy and clean acls and sell them. Might have to start an Etsy store. don't want to sell them through my ebay store. And CL up here is ridiculous. I know the economy is still junk for most ppl, but the insane high pricing ppl want for stuff. (I saw it listed on ebay for more than this!!!.. or I saw it on American Pickers for this much!) doesn't work up here and ppl don't realize it. And when I've had acls from a local small bottling co. that made a soda that was only produced/marketed locally and only in production for short # of years, I've had buyers get mad because I wouldn't take under 5 bucks...

so yah.. No CL or ebay..plus etsy might be a decent place to unload the 2-300books that have mysteriously landed in my basement.......

http://up.craigslist.org/clt/3556719747.html example of what ppl want for stuff....

or this: http://up.craigslist.org/atq/3574525758.html

looks like research time is here..until I can get up to the inlaws and cut a birch burl so I can start carving handles for the Puukko Im going to start making.

anyone able to get out lately?

MIdigger

Reaction score
Iron, its raining buckets here, with lightning and thunder. Say about an inch of rain expected. Though that will just sit or run off and flood the rivers as the grounds still frozen so the rain isnt going anywhere. Now the predicted temp is 58 today and 50+ tomorrow. Might be able to detect a bit at the schools and places with the woodchips as long as I dont have to dig deep.

Cant say Id like all that snow you guys are getting. Hope your sales items bring you in a few $$. Pricing items is all over the map. Its just what people are willing to pay in the prevailing market. What people dont realise, is that price fluctuates (similar to the metals markets).

That puukko sounds interesting. Is it a kit? I know the wood youre looking for is handle material, but did you get the blade and parts somewhere? or an old one that needs a new handle?. Ive had many of the Moras and Martinis and those are some handy items. I used to see them at the rummage sales, but not anymore. Post up some pics if you can.

If in fact it warms up and it doesnt rain tomorrow, I may take a big shovel and a pick and see if I can open up my area of the dump and poke around. Once I bust the frozen stuff off I can usually get down there. I have a big overhang that needs to be broke off. Dont need that collapsing. Last time it was froze solid. Just have to wait and see.

Hope someones getting some detecting in somewhere or poking around finding some odds and ends.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ROC.NYbottles