So where are the detector reports??

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Plumbata

Reaction score
I poked around in a creek flowing through an old park, sifting the naturally concentrated dense material deposits and also fanning the sediments. Found a 1911 V nickel (pretty astonishing plucking it out of the water after seeing ~10 modern Jeffersons), 1937 Buffalo, 1945 Mercury dime, a 44 wheat, plenty of clad, and many nice mineral specimens. After checking eBay, it seems that some of the nicer specimens are worth a respectable bit. I then went upstream a ways to a big corrugated steel storm drain outfall which I had poked around in twice earlier this week and found 6 silvers. Wound up finding 9 silver dimes (a '44 merc and 8 rosies), around 10 wheats, and plenty more clad and minerals in the space of about 45 minutes. I was in a real sweet spot I guess, can't wait to get back and see what else is in that "zone". Hopefully I'll find some big golden honkers in there, heh. 10 silvers in a day literally doubled my previous best of 5 silvers in a day, and the old nickels were a nice treat too. It seems that I've found a technique which is a low-tech and highly productive alternative to detecting. I'm not very familiar with Columbus, so the success thus far is pretty good. Can't wait to do this back home in Peoria where I know the creeks like the back of my hand! HH y'all.

Plumbata

Reaction score
Add 2 more silver rosies, a 1914 Barber dime, 1930 SLQ, 1935 Washington, wheaties, and jewelry to the list of low tech sifting/fanning/eyeball finds. I'm totally hooked; never have I had such a consistent way to find quality silver (and gold). Mark my words, one of these days I'll pull a gold coin from the storm sewers!

MIdigger

Reaction score
Good Lord man youre raking it in!!. Ive been out some (adjusting to moving down south here) but that soccer field complex has given me a lot of $. About 8 tokens, a couple rings and such. Nothing old yet. Keep up the good work.

MIdigger

Reaction score
Did some walking near excavation site, found 5 coins (soaking now dimes and pennies) and 3 marbles and 2 of the old superballs that used to bounce pretty high when we were kids. Have to walk over and try the detector.

Dugout

Reaction score
I took my grandkids out to an old foundation along the hiway and my grandson brought home a keyhole and my granddaughter brought home a 1942 quarter. They were both happy.

ironmountain

Reaction score
Nice to see so many finds. Plumb, you're on a hot streak!I haven't been to any of my spots or the lagoon of swampiness to see what else is there.Made it up to inlaws a cpl of weeks ago. Was going to go up to Mandam and see what's in the dump there..Father in law knows where the other dump is, so he says, so hopefully going to hit that in the next couple of weeks.Every day I've had a chance to go...rain..would like to go tonight, but I have board meetings for school.... Keep the finds coming.

ironmountain

Reaction score
I had a chance to get out one time in the past couple of months.pulled a bunch of trash. pull tabs and such.I went back to the lagoon at the Menominee River near the dam.I pulled a 5-part insulator out.Most of the discs were broken. I took it home anyway. Wife just rolled her eyes at me when she saw me hosing the dirt off of it in the backyard.It's an old Victor/Locke... I just love the detailed marking on those. It's the Locke #5 one.Plus all of the hardware is in good condition. Just needs a good scaling. The couple that told me where to find that place actually told me exactly where they find bottles..Off of the small point at the mouth. There are some small (2-3" dia.) saplings that are submerged in the water and she said there are hundreds of bottles trapped against them. I'm assuming that the flow of the river brought them there and the deadfall acted as a fence/barrier. It's 4' deep or so. Said they just walk out (sandy/gravel bottom..not muck) and feel them with their foot and squat and pick. I'm going the lazy man route. Fishing net. There is a small island further down directly across from a makeshift boat landing that someone actually lived on.Supposedly it's an old trappers cabin that had been empty even when her grandparents were kids....You can walk out to it or float there. It's a couple hundred feet from shore and the water gets 3-4' deep tops. (I'd probably raft or boat to it..no need to die from undertow). She said their property (which is further down the river and a mile or so inland) borders state land and there's a very faint two track that runs parallel to their yard. She said they've spent whole afternoons there and gotten more than a few hundred yards becasue there are so many dump sites that have been there "forever". Stands to reason since it's pretty much in the middle of nowhere. Houses there are spread very far apart.Not to mention all of the hunter/trapper/native american camps that'll be there.... Going to hopefully get there this week and nose around. Long winded post. Rich, did the fair happen there yet? Ours is going on right now, but won't be able to get access until just before winter..

Attachments

• 484a2e803ba94d86a3507d1968e265ca.gif
    484a2e803ba94d86a3507d1968e265ca.gif
    21.5 KB · Views: 85

2find4me

Reaction score
Just got the Fisher F2 for beginning detector yesterday and already have found a silver barber dime! Starting to like detecting again.

MIdigger

Reaction score
Ok someone let us post here again. I got out first time for 2015. 3-Q,5-D,3-N,4-P, 1 token (brass), and an earring that is a copy of the Eiffel tower (silver--kind of neat for 1st day find). Although not all the snows gone we have some spots available to detect down to maybe 4-5 inches before frost is encountered. Then, wondering if my competition was out and about--I drove near a school--yep there he was with his new detector. We talked a bit, he too had decided he`d been indoors too long also. His finds amounted to 1.75 for today and he was into another cone as we were talking. Good luck folks...Rich

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raybrdn