Some awesome Florida bottles (not mine)

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Wheelah23

Reaction score
Here's an awesome Florida Codd owned by Robin Lennon. American Codds are rare enough to begin with, and this one is really rare. It was used by William Hudson, a bottler in Pensacola, Florida.

"This bottle has a much larger top and the indentation in the neck that captures the marble so the contents can be easily drained. I think Chris Hoder has broken examples of all of the 3 known variants of embossed Codds that Hudson used. The base of this example is embossed: H. CODD PAT 1872 & 73. It is an example of a very interesting bottle. Once Hudson secured the licensing to use the Mathews gravitating stopper bottle and bottling equipment, the Codd bottles were gradually phased out. Philip Pfeifer’s book includes a reprint of an article that indicates Hudson used both the Codd and Mathews bottling equipment at the same time for a while.

From the little I have read about American 19th century glass houses, I recall that a few produced Codd closures for at least a little while. Since the Codd was a difficult bottle to make and since it was a patented closure that never really caught on in the US, I don’t think the glass manufacturers ever geared up on a large scale. I could be wrong but I think there are only examples of Codd closure bottles from about 20 or less U.S. bottlers, yet it was common in England and Commonwealth countries. I do not know if Hudson used an American manufacturer or English glasshouse for his embossed bottles. His first Codd bottles with the star and the number 1 in the star’s center are attributed to an English manufacturer."

And if you want to see some more awesome Florida glass, I posted some pictures for him in this thread.

EF74B7AC8A3148F9B3930D3428B57DE8.jpg

Attachments

• EF74B7AC8A3148F9B3930D3428B57DE8.jpg
    EF74B7AC8A3148F9B3930D3428B57DE8.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 116

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members