Spittoon?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Ye Olde Prospector

Reaction score
Dug this out of a late 1800's dump. Have shown it to lot of people,some say it's a spittoon and could be worth quite a bit. Others say an old planter not worth much of anything. It appears to be hand made on a potters wheel. It is a little over 7 in. across and 4 1/2 in. high. Kept it as it was whole, no cracks, and just a couple little chips on the lip. Most pottery type stuff I dig is broken or cracked. Has leaves and flowers around the outside. Like to get some opinions, trash or treasure. I like it anyway.

Lj22851.jpg

Attachments

• Lj22851.jpg
    Lj22851.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 83

Maine Digger

Reaction score
I'm leaning towards the decorative pottery thingamajig rather than a spittoon. To my knowledge, orlack there of[8D], spitoons are generally metal as they didn't absorb the ah, especturant or goobers.[:D] Is it just stained, or was it painted at one time? If this came out of that same site as that wonderful case gin and T-handle bell pull at least you have an idea of age. Hey it's whole, it's a nice piece, what else could you ask for?[:)]

baltbottles

Reaction score
Prospector,

Your item is a spittoon. its of the type commenly used in the 1880-1900 era we dig quite a lot of these broken. Nice find.

Chris

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raybrdn