Stomach Bitters Ebay

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

chipper

Reaction score
Gunsmoke,
Yes the Bryants cone shaped bitters is the bottle that holds the record for the most ever paid at auction for a bottle. It was a few years back and it did approach 70k. I think there are less than 5 known examples and the one that sold was the only known undamaged example. On a side note I nearly brought one of the Bryants pictured above home from the Baltimore show last week. I looked at it a long while but purchased an 1870 patent date Kelly's instead.

Gunsmoke47

Reaction score
Thank you for verifying that for me Chipper. You can't go wrong with a Kelly's. My name is Kelley Baker and though I am not a bitters collector, I would dearly love to have a Kelly's cabin and a Bakers Orange Grove. I will probably swing the Baker's Orange Grove someday, but I am not so sure about the Kelly's! [:D] You never know though! Smoke

chipper

Reaction score
Gunsmoke,

I hope you get both someday. I am a bitters collector and that was my second Kelly's. I purchased an 1863 patent date at last years Baltimore show. They are both top shelfers. Now if I can just find a olive green one to put in between them all will be well in chipperland!

westernbittersnut

Reaction score
The Bryant Stomach Bitters bottle does come in two mold forms. This ladies leg shape bottle is dug in the West, although the proprietor for the product, G.N.W. Bryant originated from New York. The multi-sided cone shape bottle is also dug in the West. There are essentially 6 complete examples in collections with 3 of them in undamaged condition and 3 of them with some type of repair.

The leg style bottle discussed in the thread is a land found bottle, there are a number of these, as well as the 37 examples found under the sea.

Lordbud

Reaction score
This one closed at US $3,950.00...and this lady's leg style Bryant's should have an iron pontil. So these are primarily dug in the West, but the proprietor is Back Easty? There's apparently no indication that this is true Western bottle? No city name being embossed on either style of
the Bryant's Stomach Bitters, plus Eastern blown glass...what is the consensus?

westernbittersnut

Reaction score
Both variants of the Bryant's Stomach Bitters are from New York. The bottles were made and filled there. Advertisements for this product show up in the Sacramento and San Francisco papers in 1859/1860 time period. There were a couple of auction houses in San Francisco that received as cargo some of these bottles and had them for sale. One shipment was for 25 cases of Bryant's (cone style) bitters, 24 to a case. Another auction house had 1000 cases of Bryant's (leg style) bitters, 12 to a case.

They are Eastern in origin and evidently Western in distribution. I am a researcher of western made and blown glass, especially bitters products. My specialty is the 1860's decade. Some collectors consider these and others Western because of distribution, I consider bottlesWestern if they are made, blown and distributed for the West.

Here is another example. The Catawba Wine Bitters is an Ohio bottle, made in Cincinnati, with a San Francisco agent, George T. Grimes, ads are seen in several California papers in 1860. An article appeared in the S.F. Evening Bulletin about a ship bound for San Francisco which sank, on the cargo manifest submitted to the insurance co for claim was 1100 cases of Catawba Wine Bitters. It would be nice to know where that ship sank!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ROC.NYbottles