Swaims

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

southern Maine diver

Reaction score
Hey everybody... I'm baack!

I was so very impressed at how the photo of the Double Eagle came out, I convinced my wife to help me show you another bottle!

This photo is of a Swaim's Panacea that was discovered last year in Wiscasset, Maine in about 20 feet of water. This is a "before" photo with all the barnacles on it. It cleaned up really well in the muriatic acid and then I sent it to be tumbled. It came out great!!! (I'm looking for an after photo of it to compare it to).

I remember the day I found it because I got a call from my good friend Rick Carney while I was at work. In an excited voice he said, "Wayne, I found the mother load!!" and then told me he found three intact English mallets and a nice cobalt blue Knickerbocker!! He then convinced me to "call in sick" the next day and Bamm... I found this, a nice pontiled eight sided ink and a nice cobalt Ryan's soda!!! Unbelievable...

Man, I love this... Enjoy the photos.
Wayne[:D]

Xv64195.jpg

Attachments

• Xv64195.jpg
    Xv64195.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 82

Miles

Reaction score
Are you going to use electrolysis on this one?
Can't wait to see the finished product.

southern Maine diver

Reaction score
RE: Swaims Panacea cleaned

Miles... say no more!

I just took this photograph of the cleaned "Swaim's Panacea" I just came in from shoveling snow (15" worth) from our first storm of the season... God I hate winter.

I used the same muriatic acid method, soaked it for several hours and then rinsed it in fresh water. I then sent it out to be tumbled... pretty nice huh?[8D] There are still a couple of deep scratches in it, but you can "over tumble" a bottle as well. That is why I have it done by a professional. Enjoy...

Wayne

Eb86871.jpg

Attachments

• Eb86871.jpg
    Eb86871.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 83

bearswede

Reaction score
What's the pontil on that, Wayne...?

God, I'm jealous!!!!

Ron

PS... Were you at the N. E. Bottle Club show last April with a pottery amphora you thought might have held oil of some kind (you were wearing a T-shirt that said something about diving)?

Miles

Reaction score
Wow, what a beauty! The guy tumbling that must have been mighty jealous.

southern Maine diver

Reaction score
Hey Ron... yea, that was me[:D]

I was carrying that Iberian Olive Jar that I found while diving in NH... look it up. I just put three photos of it on the forum!

The pontil on the Swaim's is great... there is a huge glob of melted glass probably transferred to the bottom of the bottle from a "sticky ball" The Swaim's is really crude, off balance, double sloping collar... great color... lot's of whittle... a real, real nice piece.
It cleaned up nicely.. I should take a photo of the pontil. You can see a bit of the glob of glass on the bottom in some of the photos.[&:]

Wayne

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agrounds1