Tales from the Columbia, SC. show!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Poison_Us

Reaction score
Well, we got there with time to spare. So we relaxed in the car for a bit ( I wasn't relaxed, I wanted in...In...IN NOW!)
I recommend anyone who has to get up at 5am to drive almost 3 hours to one of these, make a check list prior to going so you don't forget anything. We forgot so many things that we just kept hitting our heads with our hands.
Comb, Toothbrush, note pad, measuring tape, the camera (yet again) [:mad:] , extra socks.... *sigh*
Anyway, we're waiting in the car for 11am to roll around on Friday morning. 10:55...close enough. We walked down the hill and went in. We gladly donated $5 at the door for the Boys and Girls club... then we walked into the room. Right off the bat, to our right was a 7 7/8 KR-9. The biggest one I have seen for sale, ever. The wife haggled with him for a bit and I kind of walked down a table...and this gentleman told me he bet he knew who I was. Now I have never met this man, but the voice was familiar. It was Jerry Jones, our illustrious leader at the APBCA. I was hoping he was going to show up, as was he about us. He hadn't set up yet, so when my wife was done haggling, we went over to his table and starting talking as he started setting up his table, showing us the wondrous treasures he had brought to sell and taunt us with. We helped him set his table up as we gawked at all the lovelies that we wish would could afford. This went on for what seemed like a quick hour. By the time we left, we bought all we could get, and then some from him. In fact, the rest of the show was just that, a show. We walked 3 tables and were spent. What a way to start off....
We were done by 1:30 or so, plenty of time to drive back, but we opted to stay at the room for the night we had reserved as we were probably going to be charged whether we stayed or not. So a trip to Walmart for some food and beverages and we hunkered down for the rest of the evening, drinking beer and reminiscing of things that just happened.

We never thought a day like we had would ever happened to us. We expected to find a few treasures, and several others we couldn't afford. Nothing, but nothing prepared us for what happened at Jerry's table. Below is the collecive haul we got between him and the first seller we stopped at. Are you sitting down?

Columbia Haul.jpg

From left to right, the 7 7/8" KR-9, next to that the very rare Clear 7 3/4" KR-9, in front of that, a very small BP & Co Pepsid stomach pills bottle (a freebie c/o Jerry), a very rare clear 3 1/2" KR-10 next to that, the 4 3/4" KO-1 which completed that pair in our collection, a very rare 3" KU-8 DP Co which we just lost out on ebay just days prior, but Jerry helped us rebound from that loss, a 6 1/2 KR-47 ( another freebie from Jerry), and extremely rare KU-18b Crystal Coffin 3 1/8" (never dreamed of even seeing one of these), and finally, a rare 7 1/2" KU-18. Thank you Jerry for your generousity and love of the hobby. You are a true gentleman and we plan on doing good by you from what you have done for us.

We only dropped 5 of our new business cards at the show. There were very few poisons at the show (98% of them were at Jerry's table), so those who dealt with them, got our card. We also ran into Dave ( our local collector and dealer who we haven't seen since the last show we attended so long ago). Now that I'm working again, we hope to see more of him in the future. We wish we could have met others from ABN there, but we just didn't recognize anyone to just come up and say hi. I was wearing the same shirt as I did in our Christmas photo I posted. If you were there between 11 & 1:30 on Friday, you may have seen us. Hopefully you will see more of us. But with what we got at the show yesterday, I think even ebay may be off limits to us for quite some time as we will need time to recover.[&:] But we hope to get back in the saddle again soon as there was another table who had lot's of great stuff as well that we would like to haggle with, and soon.

Below are the latest wins from ebay.
KS-12 and KO-2.jpg

This is a scarce variant of the common KS-12. It has a more refined body and crisper embossing, plus it has BH & Co. embossed on the base, were most others are plain. Next to that is a rare (but a bit banged up) KO-2. We got it fairly cheap due to the condition of the just dug bottle. We will have it tumbled to see how it cleans up, but Jerry has a nicer one for sale. We may clean this one up for sale and get his if he doesn't sell it by then. Next we need the Cork version of this bottle as well.

Thanks for looking. I hope everyone had a great time in Columbia. We sure did. Can't wait for the next show, when and wherever that may be.

Lordbud

Reaction score
I'd love to hit a show "early looker" style on a Friday afternoon before the "real" show, but because I work 40 hours per week, there's no way to get off work early and still make it all the way to any of the local shows. Friday afternoons around here are the worst as far as rush hour traffic. A 2-hour drive becomes a 3- or 4- hour drive with all the traffic.

Sometimes I wonder this: What is the point of having an official Saturday Bottle Show when all the best bottles were unpacked and sold the Friday before the show? I overheard a number of sellers at the last two bottle shows I went to, on the day of the show, talking about "slow sales", "no sales", etc. Is that because for all intents and purposes the "show" happened while you were setting up Friday? So all the sellers have left are the boxes of junk bottles under the table and the bottles no one wanted on Friday are up on the table. Something to think about for both seller and buyer.

Poison_Us

Reaction score
The show was actually a 2 day show. Just so happens that day 1 was Friday. But I agree, if you can get to the early part of the show, it may cost you more (this one did not) it's worth it. Best get in while the pickin' is good or all you get is the scraps.

KBbottles

Reaction score
I know this is a little late, but I was directed to your post from a recent post in the poison section. The cute little round pill bottle embossed B.P. Co. is not a poison. It is a papoid pill bottle from the Brunswick Pharmacal Co. later taken over by J&J. See post here on the NJ Bottles Forum. Enjoy!

http://njbottles.com/index.php/topic,1965.msg5694.html#msg5694

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bricri2