Target ball?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Altom

Reaction score
goodmorning everyon. I was searching ebay this morning and i found this listing on ebay supposedly a target ball. I must say i am not sure if this is a target ball although from the pictures it may seem to have a seem line through the middle of it which i dont know if that helps or not. But if you have better knowledge please do share. Thank you.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Victorian-Miniature-Dark-Green-TARGET-GALLERY-Ball-1-1-4-inches-/380662777734?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item58a1450786

targetball2_zps63db297f.jpg

targetball1_zpsfdff79fc.jpg

epackage

Reaction score
Sure looks like it to me, they would have stuffed it with feathers and sawdust is my understanding...

botlguy

Reaction score
It sure looks like an authentic Target Ball but could also be a Christmas tree ornament or modern reproduction. (Easy to reproduce, be careful out there) Most, but not all, target balls were embossed / decorated / patterned. A look at the mouth to ascertain the thickness of the glass would be helpful. Target Balls are very thin and light as would be Christmas tree ornaments. The Target Balls were filled with feathers to better see a hit.

GuntherHess

Reaction score
it may be what they call a range ball http://www.targetballs.com/target-balls/range-balls/

It seems a bit small for a target ball and they put designs on most target balls so the shot wouldn't glance off.

epackage

Reaction score
I consider both styles target balls, I guess one was thrown into the air and the other wasn't, but they are both 'targets' and they are both 'ball' shaped. The guy who wrote that page doesn't seem 100% sure either...

Nice find Matt..[;)]

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
Sure is something to think about. I wonder which is more common. Throw them up and there most likely to break even if you miss. If they're ground crawlers you just bring the back and try again.[8|]
I've seen lots or target balls and even a couple of the throwers over the years but I never heard of the range balls.
I kind of wish I didn't sell mine that I bought as net floats.

GuntherHess

Reaction score
in a carnival a smooth smaller ball which is harder to break may have been a benefit.
THe same people who brought you 10 pound lead filled milk bottles :)

Altom

Reaction score
Thanks all for your expertise. I never would of thought it could be a range ball. But least it is technically a "target ball".

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raybrdn