Terowie Dig, April 30th 2005

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Tandy

Reaction score
Hi everybody,
this post is all about our recent club dig at a small town north of Adelaide. Firstly, "our club" refers to the Adelaide Historical Bottle Club, and the site of our dig was at a small town called Terowie, some 220 kilometres north of Adelaide.

This actual "Dig" was the fourth one that we have had on a property about one kilometre north of the town itself, and for the second time we had the use of a large mechanical shovel, the first two digs at this site were hand digging only.

To give you some idea about the site, it is very sparse. On the surface, it is abundantly clear that the area is in a low rainfall area, with characteristic vegetation that has adapted to the conditions. The quietness, stillness, calmness and the eerieness of the area was somewhat unnerving, almost as though it was permanently in the past, and your presence was resented by the land.

I have included a photograph to give you some idea of what it was like. You will also find more at this address:-

http://www.proforumhost.com/viewtopic.php?t=1365&mforum=grimdigger1

Zx72711.jpg

Attachments

• Zx72711.jpg
    Zx72711.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 62

IRISH

Reaction score
That dig story is worth looking at even just for the photo's, they are really good, a little look at what a lot of Australia looks like for all you non-Aussies [:D] (glad I live in a relatively wet and green bit of the country though [;)] ).
Bit of a pity there wasn't more found Rick but better luck next time.

kastoo

Reaction score
Tell me about it...I lived in Woomera, South Australia for 2 years and I have been to Adelaide. I have been on the road to Adelaide from Woomera..Port Augusta, Port Pirie.

Gunsmoke47

Reaction score
Hey Rick, nice pictures. That landscape looks VERY much like the panhandle of Texas. We have to deal with the dirt as well. (Usually pushed along by 30 MPH winds.) Thanks for sharing, Happy Diggin, Kelley

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aarhar75