The Lucky Dig 5/17

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

RIBottleguy

Reaction score
It all started with a discontent of the ok digging sites I have been digging. Either they weren't productive or they were but needed a backhoe to make it worthwhile. I figured permissions would be a good idea. So, after remembering an old house by chance, I was off. It was an old 1760s farmhouse out in the boonies that would make any collector drool. I originally planned to go there and just ask the owner about the history of the farm. They were pretty friendly and produced a very rare book on the history of the area and the four old houses that the same Mr. Potter built. After learning some cool info, I asked the owner, Howard, if he had ever found artifacts on the site. I guess it was kind of a dumb question. He takes me over to this big hole I had somehow missed, and shows me a pile of broken glass and bottles. His son, John, was putting in a pump house and they had run into a bottle dump in the process.

I took one look in the hole and asked them if they minded if I helped them recover the bottles. They said go for it so I grabbed my clam rake and hopped in. The first bottle to come out was a Healy & Bigelow's Kickapoo Indian Cough Cure. Not a bad medicine! My eyes nearly popped out when I saw a topless green squat soda fall out of the backhoe bucket. It was a Tweddle's Celebrated Soda or Mineral Waters NY (Courtland). It was emerald green with an iron pontil. Sadly the top wasn't found. Then I spotted the base of a broken barrel bitters! It was a Greeley's Bourbon Bitters in a nice color. From then on I tore into the place. The excavator operator, Ross, was a huge help. It took me a while to figure out what was going on in the hole, but it appeared they had dug into an old foundation that had been filled with trash. The age was all over the place. I found a nice Swift's Arsenate of Lead poison jug with some lip damage, and the backhoe found an 1870s Hostetter's Stomach Bitters. I dug into another corner, and near the bottom hit a nice Lyon's Kathairon for the Hair with an open pontil.

We were getting a lot of commons (Paine's Celery Compound, Dr. Lawrence's Cough Balsam, Atwoods Bitters etc.), and decided to take out some of the foundation stones. While the backhoe was wrestling with the stones, a big square bottle popped out of the wall and rolled down the stony slope to my feet. I panicked for a second because I realized it was a nice bottle as I saw it tumble down, but fortunately it survived. It couldn't believe what I saw when I wiped the dirt off and it read Dr. Townsend's. I had called a fellow collector, David to stop by and watch, and he couldn't believe it. It was the best bottle I have ever dug (still second best glass piece next to my threadless insulator).
Since the owner's son, John was collecting all the bottles, I didn't get to keep any, but I'll try to work something out in the future if we dig more together.

The first bottle
7224413922_fccfa1c3ba.jpg

Most of the finds
7224412362_e5b7af983c_z.jpg

Broken Greeley's [:(]
7224412792_f1c3c54259_z.jpg
7224412992_be198c7b66.jpg

Tweddle's
7224412540_e0e42ef98b_z.jpg

Lyon's Kathairon
7224413408_46f91b9806_z.jpg

Me and John with the Townsends
7224552464_780ce6ac47.jpg

More pics
7224589416_b57c0bd3ee_z.jpg

7224590202_921367aa8b_z.jpg

7224589634_7a5b121af9_z.jpg

Great pontil, it even has a piece of "open pontil" where there wasn't enough iron.
7224590004_6f4db19ea5_z.jpg

blobbottlebob

Reaction score
Wow. Nice stuff. Fun to tag along but I would have wanted to keep some of it. Even some of the shards would have been nice.

splante

Reaction score
nice story and pics Taylor, it is too bad they diddnt let you pick a few for your efforts. Iam a call away if you need a partner keep meaning to talk to you about it at the meetings but always a lot going on at them. See tou Sunday at the "big dig"

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bricri2