The various shades of aqua

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

OneDimerDude

Reaction score
Good morning folks!

well, let me start by saying that I’m a huge fan of cataloging my finds, so I am very meticulous in recording details. I’m sure that everyone is familiar with the Hutch Bookbottle search. Well, I wanted to determine whether or not there is an accepted “standard” for the shades of aqua. The site uses color descriptors such as “aqua,” “light aqua,” “dark aqua,” “blue aqua,” green aqua,” et cetera. However, based on the corresponding photos, it appears to me that, for instance, what is listed as “dark aqua” is actually a lighter color than what is listed simply as “aqua.”

In essence, I want to know if these shade designations are supposed to follow some sort of norm, or if they are really just arbitrary and subjective.

Thanks fellas!
Joe

OneDimerDude

Reaction score
For reference, here are four aqua bottles I have dug recently. The small one in the left I have recorded as “light aqua,” the Hutch as “aqua,” and the two large ones on the right as “blue aqua.”

Attachments

• A3A79BF3-4390-4B84-A7BF-F82A3901D30F.jpeg
    A3A79BF3-4390-4B84-A7BF-F82A3901D30F.jpeg
    973.8 KB · Views: 112

coreya

Reaction score
I personally would call the 3 bottles on the right plain old aqua and the small one is hard to judge from the photo. Either way the difference in shade won't really effect anything.

nhpharm

Reaction score
You've got to remember that the hutchbook website is built based on feedback Ron has gotten from many sources. Those sources likely all had different ideas of the shades of aqua, and Ron transcribed those. I would not consider any remarks regarding the shades of aqua on there to correlate across the entire directory. The insulator collecting hobby is much more particular about documenting shades of color.

OneDimerDude

Reaction score
You've got to remember that the hutchbook website is built based on feedback Ron has gotten from many sources. Those sources likely all had different ideas of the shades of aqua, and Ron transcribed those. I would not consider any remarks regarding the shades of aqua on there to correlate across the entire directory. The insulator collecting hobby is much more particular about documenting shades of color.
That’s a fair point. I suppose that would explain the lack of consistency. Do you happen to have any information that is used by the insulator community for color designation?

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mistymad28