This weekend's digs. One real cryer!!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

texasdigger

Reaction score
I made it out with my buddies for a while on Saturday. It was hot, muddy, humid, raining and there was a zillion skeeters. So all in all it was a great day for digging. These are the bottles that made it home with me. honey amber "H. Rosentahl O'Hare & Sons Malt Whiskey" from Cinnci, "Dr. Slocums Coltesfoot Compound Expecterent", "Forbe's Delicious Flavoring Extracts Made By Forbes Brothers & Co St. Lous", "Charles Ellis Son & Co. Phila", "Hoyt & Co perfume Phila", "Mexican Amole Soap Company Peoria Ill.", "Bonnie Bros. Louisville, KY", "Worlds Hair Balsam New York", "The Hainer Distilling Co. Dayton St. Louis, Atlanta Distillers" "Amber triangle poison, "Saymans Products Are Supreme Dr. T.M. Sayman ST. Louis, MO" "Sealed olive oil unreadable", Red Red amber "Paul Jones Pure Rye Louisville KY" "Early local Texas hutch". There were about whole clean hutches total, common bitters, Peacock green slick med, A killer mortar and pestle with wreath J.J. Thanmes the Druggist Taylor Texas, Nice 1858 mongram ground top mason, fancy pepper sauce, one of the first tabasco bottles, Gideon Bros Distillers, and quite a few more that I am forgeting.

There was one real cryer though. It is a "Laurences Croup Remedy Longview, TEXAS". My digging buddy dug the first known one 5-7 years ago. IT has been seen by most the old time collectors, and none has ever seen one of them. The side panel is blown out. When my friend dug it up busted I though he was going to flop. I only collect Texas patent medicines, and this is really hurt. The whole one has weak embossing, and this one has a great strike. I still kept it even with the damage. It has a baby with a bib on crying on the front panel.

We did not dig much truly good stuff other than the hutches, Taylor druggist , and the broke baby medicine, but for Texas it was a great day of digging! I think Rosenthal is a o.k. as well. More importantly I got to dig with my old friends that I have not seen in a few months. Hope you guy's and gals had a great memorial day! Thanks for looking fellow bottle junkies!

Brad

5756A60E90464D43891E0C43B64D7349.jpg

Attachments

• 5756A60E90464D43891E0C43B64D7349.jpg
    5756A60E90464D43891E0C43B64D7349.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 65

texasdigger

Reaction score
RE: This weekend's digs.

Baby Med

61C9FB3951B54B92B6668CC7361A2FBA.jpg

Attachments

• 61C9FB3951B54B92B6668CC7361A2FBA.jpg
    61C9FB3951B54B92B6668CC7361A2FBA.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 58

texasdigger

Reaction score

Thanks for looking. I have dug another ribbed flask from this same company in this dump. It is full of liquor bottles. I mean like a 10 to 1 ratio to other bottles. We have dug a couple Texas embossed flasks from it, but it is mostly blanks. It gets really frustrating.

Brad

jays emporium

Reaction score

Brad,
Pretty neat how you blanked out the town name on that Texas hutch. Everyone can figure out from my posts which town I'm digging in, but it doesn't really matter, not much competition down here for digging spots. I have a hard time even getting anyone to go with me.
That is a nice group of bottles you found though. I wish I was finding more stuff that age. Have you heard anything from the guy who has some boxes of bottles he dug up 50 years ago?
Jay

texasdigger

Reaction score
Jay I hate to have to do it, but you never know who may see it. I am not super secret or anything, but this dump is not huge by any means. I don't want to have everyone, and their dog diggin with us. It is a nice early dump though. It is in a swamp so it can't be dug all the time, but we hit it whenever possible. We made bottom on one of our holes at 12', but the rain filled it right back in. The bottles from the bottom date to 1875-1880. For Texas that is really early. I am expecting to hear from the guy with the boxes'o bottles this week. I will let you know what comes from it. Looks like you did pretty well too though. I am by no means a soda expert, but those Goliad sodas have to be pretty good. Thanks for looking, and I hope you have a great day!

I will try to get a pic of the seal later this evening. I can make out one word on it, but the rest is pretty smudged out.

Brad

appliedlips

Reaction score
Very nice. That seems like a great dump you got into, and plenty old for good local stuff. That liniment was really cool, is it unlisted?

beendiggin

Reaction score
nice digs. I've been looking into some wetlands around here for a new digging site.

texasdigger

Reaction score
Yes sir it is unlisted. There is only one whole one known to the Texas collecting community. It is a really fun place to dig, but very hard. Sloppy clay mud!! NOthing will stop us though. We have even pupmed our holes out to dig. Slurry pumps are heavy and bulky, but very useful. Thanks for looking.
Brad

the seal reads "Foust & Fulton Olive Oil"

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TDF.1973