Tiger Eye Marble

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Tandy

Reaction score
Can someone tell me if the normal marble sized Tiger Eye marble I dug is likely to be a one - off, or were a lot made, or should I say carved. Tiger Eye is a form of quartz, golden in colour, with asbestos inclusions. It is usually used for making semi precious stones, used in tie clips, cuff links, pendants, etc.

Cheers!

Tandy

capsoda

Reaction score
Hi Tandy, Your Tigers Eye Marble is probably one of a few someone made or had made. [:)]Tigers Eye quarts is far to fragile to nock around with glass or agate marbles.[:eek:]I've worked with a lot of it as a jeweler including some glow in the dark {nuked} samples that had to be turned over to the athorities because it was making folks sick.[:'(]

IRISH

Reaction score
Hi Rick,

That sounds like a great find, Can't say I've every seen anything quite like it.
As Warren said, it would be way too fragile for playing marbles with so probably a one-off item. It would be interesting to know where the Tiger Eye came from, there are a few good deposits of it in WA but I don't know of any decent stuff in SA.

Tandy

Reaction score
Re the Tiger Eye "marble".

I have included a picture including an Australian 5c coin for scale with it. The coin measures 20 mm in diameter, and the "marble" is marginally larger in diameter than the coin.

As to the original location of the Tiger Eyer, I doubt it was from South Australia.

Cheers,

Tandy

Ki18998.jpg

capsoda

Reaction score
Hey Tandy, Most Tigers Eye comes from So. Africa But is mined in several other countries and in Western Austraila.

A very unusual and beautiful piece.[:)]

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kennyg1960