Tiny blue poison WT & CO 2

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Reaction score
I just found out my new officemate collects antique bottles and I remembered one we found in our yard about 20 years ago. I am thinking of giving it to her as a little gift, but I thought I would do a little research on the internet first. I believe it to be a poison bottle. It is medium cobalt blue, 2-1/2 inches high, with a latticework or diamond-quilted pattern, The bottom is smooth and embossed with "WT & CO" with a "2" under that. I understand that it is probably made by "Whitehall-Tatum & Co", probably 1870-1935.... This is fascinating stuff! I just might have to keep the thing for myself and start a new hobbie! Can anyone tell me more about this little bottle? Thanks!

Gunsmoke47

Reaction score
Hey Curious, you are correct in that it is a poision and also that it is a Whitehall Tatum. A picture would help us all if you can post one. Poisions are highly collected and though you probably couldn't take a cruise on what you could sell it for, it's not going to be your average $2.00 bottle either![:D] Check the side seams and see if they go all the way through the lip or stop just under it. This will let you know if it is pre 1903-1910 or post. Hope this helps, Kelley

Reaction score
The seams stop under the lip; the lip is smooth all the way around. Also, the is a smooth area on the bottle where it looks like a label might have been. Here's a photo I just took. Thanks for your time!

Ca81189.jpg

Attachments

• Ca81189.jpg
    Ca81189.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 114
Reaction score
Despite the appearance on the photo - the seam runs up and down along the side of the smooth area, not in the center of the photo (must be reflection). I'm pretty good with a digital camera, but it took me about a dozen shots to get a decent one of this little bottle.[:)]

Gunsmoke47

Reaction score
Very nice poision Curious. I would date that bottle 1890's. I don't collect poisions but maybe someone who does will read this and be able to tell you exactly what you have. I have seen poisions like that sell on Ebay in the $20.00 range. Again, a collector will be able to give you a better value range. It would be a great gift for your friend, or a great start for you in this fascinating hobby. Good luck, Kelley

Reaction score
Hi, Kelley - thanks for your interest and replies. I'm undecided what to do with it now since this has been so enjoyable. My officemate is a college student who will be graduating next spring... maybe I will think about it until then - ha ha! [:D]

Toxic_Waste

Reaction score
Hi Curious,
You have a pretty neat bottle there. I collect mostly antique poison bottles (with a few opium and medicine ones, if they are tiny and unusual) plus antique ink bottles. I got one poison bottle like yours, with a label and a cork, off ebay and paid about $38.00 for it. It is nice that you considered giving yours away, but I bet you will have a great time keeping it and using it as the base of a starter collection, especially since it came from your own yard. That makes it more special.

Reaction score
Well, it's over...[:)] Much as I considered starting a collection with this little darlin', I did indeed give it to my young officemate. Afterall, I have had it in my possesion for nearly 20 years. She was absolutely delighted - tickled to death with it, so I am very happy with my decision. That's not to say that I won't be looking at flea market bottles with a new eye now. I even printed out this little log to give to her with the bottle. By the way the bottle did have a tiny little chip in the top of the lip. Thanks for all the interest! [:D]

Gunsmoke47

Reaction score
Well Curious, congratulations! I bet she was happy! If someone gave me a poision like that I know I would be.[:D] I hope both of you continue in the hobby one way or the other. Anybody who digs for bottles knows what a head rush that is. But if you opt to just collect, it is still rewarding and you are still a part of preserving a piece of history that will never be duplicated. (Try as they might with repro's). Sincerely, Kelley

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Acrgator