Tips on finding household dumps.

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

The Bottleman

Reaction score
Hey guys, im new to the game and was hoping someone can give me some pointers on finding dumps in my area. I live in a small town rural area in an older historic town in west tennessee. At one time it was pretty good sized, had a train depot and the likes. This was back in the 40s or so and long before i believe. I am 16 and am able to drive so me getting around town is no big deal. I just have no idea where to start looking for any type of dump. The town dump was used up until the 80s and then later paved over so that is a no go. All of the old historic buildings or sites where these buildings were at one time have been built on top of and or paved over. As for old houses i have no idea. This is what im hoping some of you more experienced diggers can help me with. Anything you can do will be greatly appreciated

Thanks,
Falcon "the bottleman" Belew

lexdigger

Reaction score
I've heard that in that part of Tenn there are lots of ravine and creek dumps. Just walk along any of these you find that run behind or near bye OLD houses. Look for shards and bring a shovel with you. There are a lot of nice ss coca colas and stenciled jugs found in that region... good luck!

The Bottleman

Reaction score
Not quite sure of the ravines, im wanting to find an older dump. Something with some meds mineral waters etc. But any dump at all would be awesome.

TJSJHART

Reaction score
FROM WHAT I'VE READ BRING A SMALL RAKE WITH YOU ALSO..GOOD LUCK

The Bottleman

Reaction score
Well i believe walking these ditches is a good start, which i have tried to do. But it isnt much, i am hoping some experienced diggers will have some ideas for me. I mean everyone has their dumps but they had to find them somehow. I mean i know some have been passed on from other diggers but thats not what i mean. There must be some procedure of how to find them. I cant just walk around town looking for something to dig in. Im really hoping i will get some help here.

druggistnut

Reaction score
Falcon,
A couple places for you to check--
--Across N Williams St from the old cemetery.
--Follow Greenlawn St south until it dead ends in to Jackson Rd. Go across the road and check across the road. The land runs downhill there, along a ravine, paralleling the RR bed.
-- Follow Poplar St east past Greenlawn until it dead-ends. Walk across the street.

The last two spots appear very promising. Let me know if you find anything.
I have a lot of Tennessee bottles and enjoy digging there during our winter months here.
Bill

Lordbud

Reaction score
If druggistnut's exacting instructions aren't enough for you well, then...are you serious with this comment?

" I cant just walk around town looking for something to dig in. Im really hoping i will get some help here."

That is exactly what you need to do. Walk/drive around your area and look. That is just how it's done. Study local maps, check out the older areas of town, look for the older homes, check out where the properties back up to (vacant lots, fields, ravines, creeks, slopes). 16 years old you should have a little energy to expend, right?

Plumbata

Reaction score
I presume that druggistnut used Google maps? That is what I use to locate likely spots for digging. It is extremely useful if you can imagine where you would dump stuff if you lived a century or more ago.

Look at the google maps terrain view and satellite view of Greenfield. I am thinking that the woods just south of Morris Cemetery looks promising, as there is a valley and the beginnings of a creek there. Also check along the railroad grade in the woods there, often garbage was dumped right next to the railroad lines, either transported there by train or used as a dump by individuals because it wouldn't be useful land for building or agriculture. I've found 2 good dumps immediately adjacent to railroad lines (step off the tracks and you are in the dump), but many more by walking creeks and ravines.

You should also check Sharon, TN. Just south of Maple St, midway between S Hunt St. and N Hwy St. there seems to be a juicy looking ravine/creek which probably has several household dumps if not larger town dumps.

Chris777

Reaction score
Following creeks and ravines is a sure bet.
A buddy and I went for a big hike yesterday along a creek bed yesterday and found 3 new farm dumps.
Good luck.

creeper71

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: The Bottleman

Not quite sure of the ravines, im wanting to find an older dump. Something with some meds mineral waters etc. But any dump at all would be awesome.
A good dump is hard to find these days, the kind your hoping to find is even harder to find... I would stick with what has been told to you by others an stick with the ravines an creek banks.. Who knows you might get lucky an find a really old dump... I am sure all the easy to find dumps have already been dug by now... Only way to find any dump is to walk an look for bottles, shards,enameled pee pans, other junk laying in the wood.. then follow that to the closest spot that would hide it out of sight by most walking or driving by like a hill slope..ect.. There is no real way I know of to just finding other then walking an looking around... To a beginner who can't read the land ravines are probly going to be the easiest for you to maybe stumble upon a dump... don't just skip a 50-60's dump cause there could be some rare milks or even some late dump bottles in them...

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cehobson