Welcome to our Antique Bottles Community

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Antique Bottle Community on the Web.

Register Log in

Today’s haul

Catcat16

Feb 26, 2020
Goldsboro MD
Just thought my haul today was fitting for the beginning of spring with these Easter colored bottles I found. ( rarely do I find amethyst)

Attachments

CanadianBottles

May 24, 2014
Oh yeah that pegasus bottle would have been really nice if it was whole! Those are an unusually deep shade of amethyst for dump-dug bottles, they must have sat on the surface for quite a while.

Also I've never heard of Courtenay & Co Worcestershire Sauce, and I've never seen a clear Worcestershire sauce bottle before either. I wonder if that was an American brand imitating the British ones.

Catcat16

Feb 26, 2020
Goldsboro MD
Oh yeah that pegasus bottle would have been really nice if it was whole! Those are an unusually deep shade of amethyst for dump-dug bottles, they must have sat on the surface for quite a while.

Also I've never heard of Courtenay & Co Worcestershire Sauce, and I've never seen a clear Worcestershire sauce bottle before either. I wonder if that was an American brand imitating the British ones.
actually most of these I pulled out of the ground. But not terribly deep maybe 12 inches or so. I guess that would still be considered a dump spot?

sandchip

Sep 1, 2008
Georgia
so wait, they weren’t originally purple? I pulled them out of the ground but only like 12 inches or so.
No, ma'am. Manganese oxide was used to decolorize soda glass which normally has a greenish tint. Some customers wanted their bottles clear (or colorless). Longterm exposure to sunlight (UV) causes it to turn purple, hence the term sun colored amethyst or SCA. Your bottle probably lay in the sun for a few years before eventually getting covered by leaves, dirt, etc., giving the sun time to do its thing. Use of MnO discontinued when we entered WWI, and was later replaced by selenium as a decolorizing agent.

hemihampton

Oct 6, 2006
A Search in here on SCA or Sun Colored Amethyst might reveal a lot of info but Sandchip pretty much summed it up. LEON.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southern Relic