tonites digs

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

David E

Reaction score
The mark on that is for Hazel Atlas 1920 to 64, should glow under black light if radiated.

Dave

Bottleman

Reaction score
I decided to take a picture of some of my marbles for some the members who don’t know what Vaseline glass looks like under a balk light. They will show up to be a spectacular yellow/green color and the rest will just turn black. Does anyone know if the radiation is this glass can cause harmful effects over time or is there not enough to affect you?

~~Tom

Ol31695.jpg

Attachments

• Ol31695.jpg
    Ol31695.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 62

KentOhio

Reaction score
I think it's harmless, but it still creeps me out. Glow-in-the-dark paint on clock and watch dials is slightly radioactive too. The paint will get dimmer over the years as the half-life ages.

Ye Olde Prospector

Reaction score
Vaseline glass does Fluoresce yellow green under short wave ultraviolet light (black light) due to the presents of small amounts of uranium compunds used to get the peculiar yellowgreen color. Pale green (depression glass) does not contain any uranium compounds that I know of and is not radioactive. Orange Fiesta Ware used slurry from uranium processing plants to create the orange glaze. These dishes are "hot" in more than one way. There were other companies that used the same glaze as well. These are much more radioactive than the vaseline glass but according to AEC and other people not radioactive enough to present any danger to health. Orange Fiesta Ware is popular with collectors but I am not sure I would use it now or have a whole room filled with the orange color at least. I remember using the orange Fiesta Ware dishes at home years ago. Here is a picture of an orange Fiesta Ware saucer to show the color. I have dug some orange pieces sometimes in bottle dumps, they date from late 1940's to early 50's. Late 1940's glow in the dark watches and especially aircraft instruments often used Radium Salts instead of Phosphorus compounds that are now in use. These were highly radioactive. My father had a watch that would really send my geiger counter up. Just some info.

Cliff

Xv63761.jpg

Attachments

• Xv63761.jpg
    Xv63761.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 69

TexasTrav

Reaction score
[:D]When I first saw the pic I thought you showing us a skeet disk you dug....lol! Nice dish.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alatide