Too Old?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

deepwoods

Reaction score
Heres an interesting point of discussion;Too Old -speaking of age-Woody,youre in N.H where theres a ton of old properties,and Im from a town in Ct. where there were at least 20 houses still occupied - not counting ghosts - from 1700s.A friend of mine lives in a house built in the 1600s.Odell told me one time "dont even bother digging houses that old"-I dont know if Im buying it-Stories anybody?

woody

Reaction score
The best bottles that I've found have been from old farmsteads and homes from the late 1700's to early 1800's.
On two different digs I've taken home at least 7 whole open pontil bottles from behind old houses from that era.
The best pontilled inks I've found there were Farley's ink, Harrisson's Columbian ink and a saphire blue pontilled umbrella ink.
All in mint condition.
All pontilled.
What does that tell you????

deepwoods

Reaction score
Yeah, I saw that Farleys-thats a rockin bottle-kind of what my intuition was;after all its not like the people moved out in 1770 and nobody lived there afterwards.Btw-My pal who lives in the 1600s house hasnt found any bottles but one day when he was fixing the stone wall in back he found one of the nicest artifacts Ive ever seen;a large stone hatchet head-the thing must have weighed 3 lbs-stuck right in the stone wall!

Bluebelle

Reaction score
I don't have any stories,but Idon't see how any place could be "too old" to try, if you can get at it legally or with permission, and it isn't paved over with concrete. Age of the properties sure doesn't stop the archeologists at Williamsburg. My (little) experience has been that in above ground dump sites, especially where they threw stuff "over the hill", rain, run-off, snow and ground heaving with freeze cycles can reallly shift things around and expose vey unexpected old things in humusy ground.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carpenter