Top 100 Pet Peeves about Ebay.

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

mctaggart67

Reaction score
My biggest pet peeve isn't aimed directly at Ebay, but at inattentive (uncaring, in some cases) sellers who just don't understand that mint condition means flawless! With considerable frequency, I'll buy bottles on Ebay that arrive with pre-shipping damage, despite sellers' descriptions that use phrasings, such as "perfect condition," "no chips, cracks, scratches," etc. I verify such absolute statements by examining posted pix closely and double-checking with the sellers by emailing questions. And still I get bottles with lip flakes, small bruises (the type that grow over time), scuffs, etc. I'm not buying super rare and super expensive bottles on Ebay, so I'm not out very much, but its still irks me. Thankfully, most sellers will issue a small refund. Some play games -- short-term thinking for short-term gain, but losing sight of the big picture of building a solid and loyal customer base. Then again, my expecting different results from doing the same thing fits one definition of insanity, so I must be crazy!

My second biggest pet peeve, is Ebay's PayPal-payment-only policy. In Canada (and I imagine in the USA, too), it is not lawful to prohibit commercial transactions in actual, real live, legal tender specie. In other words, if two parties want to make a cash deal, then, under Canadian law, they have every right to do just that. This right extends to using any other legally recognized representative form of cash, such as cheques, money orders and debit transactions. And this right cannot be denied in any sales forum, whether physical like a traditional store or electronic like Ebay. Of course, Ebay knows this, so its policy wording is intentionally, but legally, misleading in that sellers must agree to publicly state with their listings that they accept PayPal only.

The idea here is that if sellers have to make such a statement, then customers will believe it and thus everyone follows the policy, and this all sets up a sort of "if you say it enough times, it becomes truth" system which is not questioned by its users. Indeed, I just had a newbie seller refuse a cash payment and local pick up because she believed that she must follow Ebay payment policy. To boot, she said she had to ship by Canada Post because that, too, is Ebay policy. Her fear was that if she accommodated the cash payment and local pick up, Ebay would deny her seller status.

Cripes, I wish people think for themselves and stand up for themselves! Economically speaking, I'm no leftie. In fact, I believe in the power of the free market. And that is precisely my point: a free market. If we blindly follow the dodgy policy dictates of companies like Ebay, then we lose some of our personal power and this diminishes the strength and thus the value of a free market.

Hey, you know what? My second biggest pet peeve about Ebay is actually my biggest one!

ironmountain

Reaction score
Fees are a pain..... thank the people selling stuff for .99cents and shipping being 150$ for the addition of fee % for shipping.

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
I don't like that it's PP only but it's is what I'd prefer. The percentage is minimal to me and I also know I'm paying about the same 3% extra at any store that takes credit card. The truth is more that a store market charges extra for all items rather that discounting for cash to compensate.

As far as buying goes, maybe the 44 cents (or whatever, I bought the anytime stamps) to mail checks in the US but out of country would be totally impractical for me.

ironmountain

Reaction score
yah..the PP fee isn't enough to feel hurt about...Because as you say (cowseatmaize), you eat the cost the store owner has to pay from the CC service. (Discover Card used to be 4$ alone). The fees for final value/shipping/insertion/pp can get expensive.
I'm glad we're not liquidating storage units for our friend and a few others in town (he has 400 units). So many categories of items. takes forever to get those written up. Since we've slowly started building our physical inventory of knives/cutlery/tomahawks etc.. plus field/outfitter/guide gear... nice to just set prices and let it sit until it sells. (bark river knives sit for about, 1-2days..makes it convenient that they're 45miles away). Easier to branch away from eBay and create website/b&m store...

Oh one more peeve.... people who order a custom knife, pay for it.. wait the 2days-2wks for it to be crafted, then ask if the handle wood or micarta colors can be changed...Send back to BRK, have them pull the bolster,handles, replace and send it back...

epackage

Reaction score
As a seller I always overestimate the weight for shipping, it gets me some of the cost back from the fees I pay. On heavy items you can add extra pounds without any issue I find....

ironmountain

Reaction score
hopefully we've taken the hassle out of some of the shipping pains. We setup an endicia account. volume is high enough now to justify it. We do quite a bit of international business and not having to fill out 20 customs forms by hand is nice. going to at least give it a month to test it out.

root beer madness

Reaction score
I have many. One that is always at the top of my list is no running balance on your account like there used to be. I like to see what my current balance is after every transaction. The way it is now is impossible to follow.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TDF.1973