Tredyffrin chemical bottle?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Wheelah23

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: Sodasandbeers

For the full embossing:

www.sodasandbeers.com

Spring Water bottles are also listed on the site.

I never thought to look on your site... How dumb of me. Thanks again Tod.

Not to get sidetracked here, but you know I've been researching all the local bottlers I can. Thanks to Ed (pikewaynepabottles) and Jim (epackage), I got a couple of quite perplexing Ransley soda bottles. For all intents and purposes, they seem to be 20's deco sodas. But all information I have points to Ransley having gone out of business in 1915 or before. Care to weigh in on the subject?

surfaceone

Reaction score
Lithia Water...

"A CELEBRATED CASE.
Provost Pepper, of the University Hospital, Used this Man in His Cliuics in 1894—No Hope in Medicine for Him—Now Getting Well by the Use of Rennyson Tredyffrin Water—No Other Remedv Used— A Letter From Him that Will Explain His Situation.
From the Star of the Cape. Cape May, N. J.
About one year ago Captain William Rennyson, editor of the Daily Times, Norristown, Pa., who owns a fine country seat in Tredyffrin Township, Chester County, accidentally discovered that the waters of a fine, strong spring were, upon analysis, of a highly medicinal character, and already it has the best reputation where known of any water sold and is uniformly preferred by those who have tried other mineral waters as more efficacious. The proprietor has already received a very large number of the strongest testimonials from the immediate region of the spring, so that when we were handed the booklet of testimonials we found that among those receiving the most remarkable cures were several personal acquaintances.
Mr. William H. Reeves, of West Cape May, a veteran, who has been greatly afflicted with rheumatism for 33 years, contracted in the army, has also experienced a wonderful change by the use of Tredyffrin water in a comparatively very short time, as described in his letter to
the proprietor of the celebrated mineral spring, given below:
Cape May, N. J., February 24, '97. Capt. Wm. Rennyson, Norristown,
Pa.
Dear Sir—I have been anxious for some time to write to you to acknowledge the debt of gratitude I owe you for the wonderful change your lithia water has wrought upon me.
I contracted rheumatism in the army from severe exposure, which gradually increased in suffering, until during the last ten years I have been almost entirely helpless in every way, not being able to walk for now over three years. And I had reached that stage when I could not raise my foot without paia and then not more than two inches without help. Indeed, it was with extreme pain that I was moved at all, and was not at any time free from great soreness and pain.
It was in this condition that a friend called upon me and spoke of his knowledge of great benefit which had been enjoyed by three or four of his acquaintances by the use of this valuable water. I, therefore, felt interested to give your water a trial. I did not expect in my longconfirmed case immediate benefit, but I was surprised that before I had finished taking the first bottle I felt some decided improvement in my appetite and sleeping. On account of my pains I could not for over two years sleep without the regular nightly use of morphia, but now I am free from the soreness and pain and sleep well throughout the entire night. And I have such use of my lower limbs now that I can lift them from the floor to a chair without the least pain.
I have been under treatment by some of the most celebrated physicians in Philadelphia, as well as the most noted in this section, for the last ten years, and derived no permanent benefit nor relief from my sufferings, and felt that I had nothing to look forward to but continuance in great pain and the probable aggravation of my disease and suffering to the end of my life. I am very anxious, therefore, in this condition to avail myself of the trial of your excellent water, of which I have used less than two cases, with the blessed result mentioned above. And I feel that it is due to you, as well as to many sufferers like myself, that I should make my case known to the public.
Yours respectfully,
WILLIAM H. REEVES. Mr. Reeves is one of the most conscientious and best-known men in
this vicinity, having held among other offices of public trust the position of Assessor, both in Lower township and in the borough of West Cape May, for over 18 years. And to anyone wishing to consult Mr. Reeves as to the virtue and value of this water in his own case he will be only too glad to impart the fullest information.
Ed. Star of the Cape." Thanks to Matt's sleuthing.

Hey Matt,

Great googlin sir! While I was chasing water sprites, you nailed it. I was stumped on that "Renn" on Connors shard. "Rennyson,"great name that. "Tredyffrin," is that Welsh?

Connor, It's up to you to dig the first whole one. No pressure you understand...[8D] Get scratchin...

468rennyson.jpg
From.

jbayreuth1_rennyson.jpg

danlarsen

Reaction score
Tedyffrin Chemical- Water Bottle

[FONT=&amp]Hello, I know I'm coming late to this conversation. P.S. I also live in Frederick, MD. However, I thought you might like to look at this Tedyffrin Water bottle from the late 1800s. You can also find a current posting in philidelphia craigs list under antiques/bottles. It's approximately 10 inches high. It is aqua and it's a blown in mold (bi-mold). The embossing strike is one of the strongest I've ever seen in a blown bottle. The bottle is in extremely good/excellent condition with no chips or cracks. In the top finish photo, what appears to be an issue is actually a cluster of bubbles just below the surface and was a production flaw...and therefore a non issue. It reads as follows in all caps and diagonally across the front ..... TREDYFFRIN ....below that it reads straight across....WATER.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]I've included a couple old ads which are the only references I've seen about it. I believe this to be a very rare bottle. It comes from Tredyffrin, PA, not far from Philadelphia. It was used to bottle water from local marble and lime quarries. ....see quote from the Tredyffrin Easttown Historical Society.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]However, I've not yet been able to find this bottle anywhere out there in the bottle collecting community.[/FONT]

Attachments

• Tredyfrinn Water - Cropped Ruler Portrait.JPG
    Tredyfrinn Water - Cropped Ruler Portrait.JPG
    30.6 KB · Views: 77
  • Tredyffrin - Add - 3.jpg
    Tredyffrin - Add - 3.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 74
  • Tredyffrin Wate Add.JPG
    Tredyffrin Wate Add.JPG
    45.3 KB · Views: 78

Members online

No members online now.