Two Drakes

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

bearswede

Reaction score
I finally sold that beautiful lite honey amber Drakes (with the long crack along the log butts) for about what I paid...

Picked up these, one at the Millbrook, NY show, one on ebay...

I know they can't touch your bunch, Brian... But it's my humble little start...

Ron

Ge94186.jpg

BRIAN S.

Reaction score
Nice additions Ron ! Everybody has to start somewhere when starting a string of Drake's ....just some have started before others. I know of some Drake's groupings that put mine to shame ! But , with any luck I will have a super nice grouping of color and mold variants someday.
Nice dark Amber 4 logger in your pic ..... can you believe I don't have one. The really dark ones are getting harder and harder to find.
I wished that I had the $$$$ to spend a few years back ...when not so many collectors were seeking out these Plantation Bitters. As I know you have noticed the price keeps climbing and climbing.
Thanks for sharing , Brian

BRIAN S.

Reaction score
Hi Ron ,
Here's a pic of a couple of my Drake's ( the Arabesque mold variants).
The colorations aren't showing up very well in the pic .... L to R ... Strawberry Puce , Cherry puce , Yellow Apricot , Topaz , Golden amber , and Amythest.

Vt57511.jpg

Attachments

• Vt57511.jpg
    Vt57511.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 62

BRIAN S.

Reaction score
And for anybody that's interseted , and did not know what a Arbesque Drake's mold variant was. It has the curly cue's on the embossing and the rectangular embossed around the word " BITTERS " . It has no "X" , " S.T. " , or " 1860 " in the embossing on this variant either... see pic .
Brian

Us52998.jpg

Attachments

• Us52998.jpg
    Us52998.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 61

bearswede

Reaction score
Nice anticipation of my next question, Brian...

Now, do you know how the arabesque style happened to come about? Was it some bored/creative glassblower/mold-maker ad libbing?

PS... Really, really nice bottles!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BRIAN S.

Reaction score
Hi Ron ,
I haven't seen any research on these Arabesque's at all . I don't know how they came about or if they are later design than the regular ole' 6 loggers .... D 105 and D108's . It is my personal belief that the Arabesque's were later . Why the mold change I have no idea. But , the Arabesque was not the only mold change over the years . 4 log , 5 log , and 6 log with several variants ( D 105 , D 106 , D 108 , D 103... No " X" , D 104... 4 label panel , D 108.5 ... chamfered base corner ).
I have included a pic of the little known of and Extremely rare D 108.5 chamfered base corner Drake's.

Om33863.jpg

Attachments

• Om33863.jpg
    Om33863.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 54

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member