Unexpected privy...UNDER BUILDING!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

WonGan

Reaction score
UNREAL!!! A dig in the middle of the winter all cozy inside a building! I love that derrick bottle! I cant wait to see it cleaned up also.Nothing says hometown for you guys more than that.Way to go Tom! I hope there are many more great bottles waiting to be born from the earth under there.

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
Lookin good Joe ! Tom really gets those weird locations [:D]
"With out permissions you can't dig privys" or bottles under houses [;)]way to go TOM!

CALDIGR2

Reaction score
Many early day toilets were located inside large commercial structures. I have dug plenty over the years that were covered by a thin veneer of concrete. Often you could follow the cracks to where they joined and pop a hole dead center in the vault. Most were either thick redwood planks or unmortared brick. Get back after that one ASAP.

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
Hey Tom Nice talkin to you today. I know joe made the thread but I'm sure you will chime in sooner or latter[:D] nice dig you got going on,I think I can stop by tonight, I have half a day I am going to see my brother in Grandville I can help you fling some of that mud [8D]. Geter dug
Sr[8D]

RedGinger

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: CALDIGR2

Many early day toilets were located inside large commercial structures. I have dug plenty over the years that were covered by a thin veneer of concrete. Often you could follow the cracks to where they joined and pop a hole dead center in the vault. Most were either thick redwood planks or unmortared brick. Get back after that one ASAP.

When did they start making those indoor privies? I've heard of it, but I wondered if that is any indication of the age.

AntiqueMeds

Reaction score
When did they start making those indoor privies?

there have been indoor privys since at least the 1700s. Jeffersons Monticello had one I believe.

Its more common to find house additions that were just built on top of old privys.

mr.fred

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: JOETHECROW

We should have pulled out the big rock before we dug down because now it's encased in slop![:D] [:'(] It'll need to come out before we can square the thing out to the walls....

Tom, (who's really into local druggists), hit one out of the ballpark with this one!...A previously unknow to us variant from here, with a picture of an OIL DERRICK! I'll try to find a clearer pic, the camera wasn't focusing to well because the lens assy. had mud in it.

57C7541AC3464EE089608C8B4F448D42.jpg
I moved that huge bolder today Joe[;)]-------since i am working a block away--i some how ended up at the dig site with a shovel in my hand[8|]---got a few nice food jars--nice aqua color-----a large strap sided flask from Tom!---Chemical bottle-embossed. Hope to get back in there--when all 3 of us can dig it!------A big thanks to Tom for sharing his dig[:)]-----~Fred.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jimk26