Unlikely Keeper

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

capsoda

Reaction score
Some times you go digging and the dump turns out to be a 1940s or 50s dump or everything is broken or worse yet you dig a 1000 bottles and they are all Fletcher's Castoria, Hoyt's Nickle Cologne or Chamberlain's.[&:] Well this was dug from the latter of the three. It's a simple aqua/citron Chamberlain's found with 1000 worthless bottles from the same little dump.

Just as we were getting ready to cover the dozen or so worthless holes we had dug my wife said there is a little yellow neck sticking out of this hole and when she pulled it out it was a citron, mostly, Chamberlian's. It has a few stress cracks but I couldn't throw it back so it has a home in my collection.[:)]

Pn35476.jpg

Attachments

• Pn35476.jpg
    Pn35476.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 55

whiskeyman

Reaction score
WARREN...ya fergot Lysol, Listerine and Sauers Extracts...[:'(]
Nice color in the Chamberlains...I'd have kept it too.

(hate ta put stuff back in the ground anyways).

southern Maine diver

Reaction score
Hey Warren and Whiskey...

I have a different take on "throwing" bottles back. If you find a dump underwater, it is usually because there are bottles on top of bottles and laying all over the place, so I fill my dive bags up with mostly all of the bottles, being sure to separate the keepers from the common ones, putting them in different dive bags underwater so I don't break them when dragging the bags around on the bottom and I bring them all up to the surface. Then I go through them again to see if there are any "sleepers" hiding in there.

What I don't do, is throw them back in the same spot!!![:-] The reasons for this are:

I want to clean the area up so I don't keep collecting the same bottles on other dives and wasting precious bottom time[:'(]

I don't want other divers to find my location because they use pretty much the same methods for underwater searches. If they go into a "clean" area, they may be more apt to think there's nothing there and leave.[:-]

I throw all of the common ones, chipped, cracked or broken ones into a different area so I know what's there and I "salt" the area with these bottles so I can teach my boys how to do underwater searches, collection techniques in a relatively shallow, out of the current , safe place for them to dive until the gain the experience they need to move on to more advanced search areas.[;)]

Wayne[&:]

capsoda

Reaction score
Know what you mean Wayne except we don't worry about running out of air and when Cindy finishes digging an area there is nothing left but junk bottles. She don't miss much.[sm=lol.gif]

madman

Reaction score
yo cap very nice man!!! i find millions of fletchers castoria bottles up here, id welcome a chamberlans lol, hey check this out alot of my hutches came from a 40s dump right on top im still confused to this day?? yes id agree those newer dumps can contain some oldies in there mike

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jerrykevin