Unusual Hostetter's ... A & DHC ?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

edndlm

Reaction score
A picker stopped by last week & sold me a few bottles one being a Hostetter's . I don't remember an H-195 Dr. J . Hostetter's / Stomach Bitters with A & DHC / M on the base . I know A & DH Chambers ( 1842 - 1886 ) made many bottles and I've had W. MCG & Co. , AGW , S. McKee & Co. , J & W , L & W , etc... on the Hostetter bases , but can't remember an A & DHC / M on the base of a Hostetter's . I looked in Ring / Ham & supplement , but didn't see it listed with other manufacturers .

A74128F1626349EA9D6BDCDD663160FE.jpg

Attachments

• A74128F1626349EA9D6BDCDD663160FE.jpg
    A74128F1626349EA9D6BDCDD663160FE.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 61

botlguy

Reaction score
I can tell you it's not rare but not common / plentiful either. Either way it makes little difference in value to the average BITTERS collector. It does indicate it is earlier than many of the HOSTETTER'S variants. Richard Siri in California is (IMHO) the HOSTETTER'S guru, I sold him one of these a couple years ago. I believe I got about $25.00 for it.

HOSTETTER'S were made and marketed over a very long period of time and the bottles were made by several different glass houses, some more collectible than others. Personal taste or preferances I suspect. When I had my big Bitters collection I didn't care who made them, just what color they were. I went through literally hundreds of HOSTETTER'S in 40 + years, constantly upgrading.

I told Bill Ham about the absence of the A.& D. H. C. & Co. base marking and he sort of yawned, Of Well !

edndlm

Reaction score
Thanks Jim for the information , I just didn't rememeber seeing one , as I usually look at the bases , if the color is nice also . It is disappointing that the author didn't think it was important to note all the different glass house embossings for a popular bottle . I now remember seeing I G Co and T W & Co embossings too . The different base embossings would make a cool run for someone , in addition to color .

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MotherMayhem