URGENT! Need I.D. on bottles for research!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Lordbud

Reaction score
Common unembossed shards are something most diggers would have left behind or thrown back into the hole.

tigue710

Reaction score
1 & 2 could be wine or food bottles, 3 &4 look a little larger then the first so they are most likely wine. 5 is the lip and shoulders from a pig nose case gin, and 6&7 are actually beer bottle shards. All look like European imports, English, French, Dutch, dating from the 1870's-1900. It is possible the site could date a little earlier, as the gin and beer shards could date earlier. The other shards posted all date later.

From the looks of it you have come across some type of work camp...

Bongers

Reaction score
Thanks a lot for the help guys! Images 1&2 are from the same bottle and Images 3&4 are from the same bottle. Image 5 is from one bottle, and Images 6 and 7 are from one bottle. What's interesting is that a survey team found these bottles in the remote Atacama Desert in northern Chile. There are no habitation sites to be found near these bottles. My professor and I think that the act of smashing these bottles served a ritualized function (people were deliberately going out to these remote area and smashing these bottles supposedly as an act of resistance against the Spanish colonial presence). The other three bottles I found are a round bottom bottle with a BELFAST and ROSSS embossment, a case gin bottle, and a Dutch gin bottle. I'll post the other images soon.

Bongers

Reaction score
Here's the link to the other images.
https://www.antique-bottles.net/forum/m-207147/mpage-1/key-/tm.htm

tigue710

Reaction score
It would be a little strange for them to have been smashed in a ritualistic way, given the age. Your talking late 19th century. You best bet would be there was either mining going on, a lost caravan, or some type of outlaw/native hide out! Given that all of the bottles could have been used for alcohol, and probably were, you gonna have to figure what a small group of probably only men, were doing out in the desert. Are there any land marks natives would have considered sacred? Mineral deposits, or caves? Could just have easily been left from the last survey crew too...!

very interesting to say the least...

one more thing, you seem to have bottles representing two different ages in the late 19th century. The first group age wise dates around 1870, while the second group dates around 1900. Now bottles were reused, so it is not unlikely that they could all have been left at the same time, but the gap in age is rather consistent, which is peculiar. You might have evidence of at least two separate visits, over a long period of time. Possibly an unmarked grave revisited or hidden treasure? very very interesting... I'm just shooting in the dark here of course...

Bongers

Reaction score
Tigue70, thank you so much for your input. I will definitely take your interpretations into consideration! By the way, I created a separate thread about a bell image on the Dutch Gin bottle. Check it out if you have the chance.

Bongers

Reaction score
Here is my website so far detailing my research.
www.jacobbongers.com

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vladlitski