WANTED: Hand lettered ointment pots

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

deepbluedigger

Reaction score
I'm looking for hand lettered British ointment pots in a similar style to the ones in this picture. They are very different from the transfer printed types such as Holloways. Quite a few have turned up in the eastern US over the years. There are dozens of different names known, dating from before 1800 through to about the 1860s. Writing is usually dark blue, sometimes black, occasionally red/brown. They mostly have a thick tin glaze which chips very easily, so chips etc are acceptable.

Thanks

Jerry

1E8093A0668B46CF8283799E247A4EF5.jpg

Attachments

• 1E8093A0668B46CF8283799E247A4EF5.jpg
    1E8093A0668B46CF8283799E247A4EF5.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 82

botlguy

Reaction score
The first two look to be metal. Is that correct? Wish I could help but have never seen them and am unlikely to as I live in the far Northwest. They are neat, I can easily see the appeal.

deepbluedigger

Reaction score
Not metal. They're all made in a quite soft white / cream earthenware, with a tin glaze over the top (the glaze often looks very pale blue, sometimes slightly pink). The earthenware absorbs stain from the ground very easily when the glaze chips off.

botlguy

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: deepbluedigger

Not metal. They're all made in a quite soft white / cream earthenware, with a tin glaze over the top (the glaze often looks very pale blue, sometimes slightly pink). The earthenware absorbs stain from the ground very easily when the glaze chips off.
The reason I thought they might be metal was because the shape of those two looks more delicate, especially the lip.

deepbluedigger

Reaction score
Yup, hard to find. This is the first I've had a chance at in over three years, since I first set my sights on getting one or two for the collection.

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
They mostly have a thick tin glaze which chips very easily, so chips etc are acceptable.
Until I looked closer I was thinking enamel ware. It reminds me of that but I do see the difference.
Nice stuff, I can see why you like it.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jiharris