Wanted : Marbles .... update ....

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Monsonant

Reaction score
Thanks to all who replied ...... I continue to seek marbles . Send photos for an offer.

Also buying accumulations of all sorts of ephemera .... Postcards , Trade Cards , Letters ... photos etc.

Marble / Bottle collector looking to buy or trade for accumulations , collections or single marbles . Interested in all ages of marbles from Antique to Modern. If cash won't do I have all kinds of stuff to trade just let me know what you have and what you collect. Thanks Dave Anderson Email antiques@samnet.net "put marbles in subject"

Maine Digger

Reaction score
Hi Dave, I have upwards of 2K marbles at this time. A lot are by-products of bottle digging, and a lot from e-bay lot sales. Anything in particular you're looking for? I haven't spent much time with them lately as our house is on the market and we've packed a lot of things away. Perhaps we can do some trading.

Dirty Dog

Reaction score
Here are the few I found...

Hf99666.jpg

Attachments

• Hf99666.jpg
    Hf99666.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 97

Monsonant

Reaction score
Dirty Dog ....... Most of these are 1930s -40s machinemades The Blue & white one top left is an Akro Corkscrew next to that looks like an Akro Helmet below those two the Powder Blue one looks like it might be a handmade bead ..on its left the Blk and Yel one is more than likely a Peltier Patch or possibly a Master Patch. The one below and touching the Powder Blu is the feature marble of this group I am not 100% sure but it looks like a little Hand Made Lutz (Possibly an Onionskin Lutz ) If it is in good condition it worth a few $$ Send another photo or 2 of that one . The marble at the bottom is a Master Made "Comet" or "Meteor" often called a Sunburst .. All are pretty common except the Handmade . d.e.a.

snapshot

Reaction score
See anything interesting here?

Also, the 3 brown lumpy things to the upper right, they are metallic, meaning they will stick to a magnet, I've found lots of these. Any idea what they may be?

Ge94770.jpg

Attachments

• Ge94770.jpg
    Ge94770.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 83

snapshot

Reaction score
Hi again,
Maybe you have seen something like this? I found it in a box of old tools. The reverse side of the card is printed with a "from:" space and the name & address is hand written in, a "to:" name & address and a space for a 3 cent postage stamp. Did people actually mail things like this?

Ig12749.jpg

Bottleman

Reaction score
Hey snapshot, nice little bunch of marbles you have there! I especially like the green and white one at the bottom. When I was a kid I use to call those little metallic balls “train poop†believe it or not because I use to find them along train tracks after they fell out of the cars. I am actually not sure what they are exactly but I would guess they would melt them down and make steel or iron. Did you find them near an old railroad?

~~Tom

Monsonant

Reaction score
Snapshot ... from this view I see mostly common marbles they range from 1890s or so (some of the clay marbles could be earlier ) to around 1940s . The little green one in the center could be later . In the top row of 5 the second and fourth marble seem to be hand made Solid or ribbon core's. The fifth one looks like it is a mineral , alabaster maybe (thats why they are sometimes called "allies" ) The two darkest marbles may be transitional slags , I say may be because its often hard to tell from one view when trying to ID marbles from photos. The most interesting is the Green & white striped one lower right. Thats a clay marble called a Lined Crockery. Its made from two different kinds of clay that when fired show a different color, they were made from 1850s to 1920's or so . The earlier ones( as with most pottery marbles ) are usually un-glazed . d.e.a.

Bottleman

Reaction score
Hello monson. You seem to know a lot about marbles and I was wondering if you could give me a little information on this one. The colors are much brighter than the picture and it’s a regular sized one, not a shooter.

Thanks, Tom

Li20919.jpg

Attachments

• Li20919.jpg
    Li20919.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 90

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member