Watershops Pond

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Dcravosa

Reaction score
Any of you central MA divers/diggers ever search at Watershops Pond in Springfield, MA?

Sand_pontil

Reaction score
That place is so mucky that you would need to probe underwater. Most ponds in central MA are that way. Im sure theres stuff in there though.

Dcravosa

Reaction score
Ugh. My grandfather distributed milk to the neighborhood on the northwest side of the lake back in the '30s-'40s. Always wondered if some of the bottles are in there.

Dcravosa

Reaction score
Aside from the "muck", there may be some additional issues to manage:

- In 1857, workers repairing the dam discovered what was thought to be the first complete dinosaur skeleton found in all of North America and South America. As many people claimed sections as souvenirs, the skeleton could not be fully reassembled.

- After workers drained the lake to install bridge piers in 1941, the remains of World War I veteran David W. Lee and his family were discovered at the bottom of the lake in their Stutz sedan. The family of five had disappeared on the evening of December 13, 1930, sparking a nationwide search that spanned as far as California and Florida. The Lee children were only eight, six and four years of age respectively at the time of their tragic passing. Their father had simply lost control of the vehicle during icy conditions.

- On June 17, 1988 a chemical reaction caused a fire at Advanced Laboratories Inc., a manufacturing plant in the former Watershops Armory located on the lake. A cloud of toxic chlorine gas suspended itself over six miles of Springfield streets, evoking a four-day evacuation of the area by an estimated 50,000 Springfield residents, a flurry of minor injuries and a barrage of subsequent lawsuits.

- The much-heralded, deadly June 1, 2011 tornado left its mark, destroying much of the vegetation along the shores. There was significant debris deposited in the lake during the tornado. While debris on the shoreline has been removed, Sullivan and the city are still working with federal agencies for funding the cleanup of the lake.

RCO

Reaction score
I imagine a pond would be tough to find bottles in , due to visibility issues , there often dark and water not clear like a lake . but I agree there could more than likely be bottles there

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TDF.1973