Waw-Waw & We-Li-Ka

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

2find4me

Reaction score
Bert DeWitt said:
So if you read contained pure sweet spirit nitre.http://archive.nlm.nih.gov/fdanj/bitstream/123456789/66023/2/302000340.tx The court document posted by Lisa you will notice it is in the 1930 and contained alcohol therefore shouldn't these bottles say Federal law forbids sale or reuse of this bottle?

Yes, Jim's odd jar Waw-Waw should date around the 1930's.When I said that most Waw-Waw date from around 1890-1910, I meant the tee-pee type bottles. I'm sure the company lasted longer than 1910, and the jar is definitely after that.I could be wrong about the metal closure bottles, since most of them are foreign to the US, they do not always follow the rules of dating US bottles. Thank you for bring it to my attention!

Bert DeWitt

Reaction score
I was unclear about what I was trying to say the WE-LI-KA cort document is in the United States so therefore the WE-LI-KA bottle should say, Federal law forbids sale or reuse of this bottle.

2find4me

Reaction score
Waw-waw For Sale.Check this article out HERE.Distributed by the St. James Importing Company of New York and also in London. Waw-waw sold.This seller calls Waw-waw a Pepper Sauce, and he states it was in use between 1880-1920.Sold on eBay,from the UK.

2find4me

Reaction score
Now I will research Alart & McGuire Co., one of the companies that distributed Waw-Waw in Brooklyn, NY.First, HERE are some of the bottles they manufactured, looks like mostly pickles, ketchup, and sauce bottles.Check out THIS one, a labeled catsup. LINK
$_57.JPG
A labeled O.K. Pepper Sauce Waw-Waw.
1_23f2e22ae0bf595248a44f2ec32a7b44.jpg

botlguy

Reaction score
Hey Bert, we found alcohol in all sorts of products and they did not have to be labeled with the "Forbids" warning. That was for Spirits sold for drinking purposes only between Prohibition (1933 or 34) and 1964. Medicine and other products that contained alcohol were exempt from the taxes applied to drinking spirits. An aside, in reading about Sweet Spirits of Nitre / Niter (spelled both ways) apparently more than a few drops taken internally could be very harmful, even fatal. The instructions ALWAYS said add a few DROPS to a quantity of water or other liquid. Apparently it is basically unavailable in the USA. The court case was about false advertising, not having enough alcohol as required and saying it did. Jim

2find4me

Reaction score
Again, a LINK of the Alart & McGuire Company.I see they also manufactured olives and mustard as well as different sauces and pickles.A labeled Lart Pickles by Alart & McGuire. HERE.HERE is a court case on Alart & McGuire misbranded catsup.Scroll down to page 4 and see a Pickle Contract 1893. LINK.Notice of judgement issued July 13, 1911. LINK.They also misbranded mustard as well as catsup. LINK.Maybe Waw-Waw was also one of their "misbranded" products.HERE they were only fined $25 for misbranding catsup.Alart & McGuire Postcard, LINK.HERE is a link to Alart & McGuire Pickle & Olive Jars, a total of a 11 from worthpoint.
1_c7bd8940961e690f6d6ebec4e0e9a8f2.jpg
A patent for one of their pickle jars.

2find4me

Reaction score
Before I move onto We-Li-Ka, I will talk about one more company that distributed Waw-Waw,The St. James Importing Company. (New York)HERE is a certificate about Waw-Waw. There is not much to talk about on this company, so I will move onto We-Li-Ka.

2find4me

Reaction score
[font="arial black,avant garde"][:)] We-Li-Ka
[/font]
052038B33A0A430E9E9AACF675B69B4B.jpg
Bert DeWitt's Thread, HERE.Six related threads, HERE.Before I begin searching, I suspect it is most likely a sauce."we li ka hei" means a bit for boring rock in the Hawaiian language.Possibility to the origin, HERE. The Battle of We-Li-Ka in the Second Seminole war. 19 July 1836 - Battle of Welika Pond near Micanopy. Army command evacuating Fort Drane is attacked by a large Seminole force just before they reach Micanopy. They are saved by reinforcements from Micanopy Micanopy, Florida. Welika Pond Battle History.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alatide