Welcome to our Antique Bottles Community

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Antique Bottle Community on the Web.

Register Log in

Weight rating for glass shelves?

PASodas

Dec 29, 2011
York, PA originally
Picked up a pair of 2nd hand display cabinets recently. Plan to fill with sodas, beers and hutches. Anyone happen to know the weight rating for the glass shelves? They measure 38"x11 1/2"x3/16" and have a groove cut for plates, supported at 4 corners. Hate to see everything end up on the bottom shelf[:mad:]. Any help would be appreciated, Thanks!Jeff

Attachments

cowseatmaize

Dec 2, 2004
Northeastern USA
I'd worry more about the pegs and wood or whatever holding the shelf glass than the glass itself, it should be good tempered stuff if it's original.Don't slam anything down on them though.

BillinMo

Jul 28, 2010
Missouri
Ditto what Eric said. I've never heard of a shelf breaking from weight on it, and I've seen cabinets like those loaded with insulators, which can be a pretty substantial amount of weight. What usually fails is the shelf support.

PASodas

Dec 29, 2011
York, PA originally
Thanks Hanna, will check out the website. Unfortunately I can't use your engineered solution as one case is glass front, the other provides no support once doors are open (no vertical ribs) Good point Eric and Bill, my concern was the glass (it is original tempered) . . . never thought about those small supports. That's why the shelves are still empty . . . Love this site! Jeff

PASodas

Dec 29, 2011
York, PA originally
According to website, shelves should hold just over 36 lbs . . . should suit my needs That's 9 lb/support . . . not unreasonable as this is oak and steel supports Thanks again! Will post pics soon

sandchip

Sep 1, 2008
Georgia
Looks like both cabinets have 3/8" thick glass to me. I have a case almost identical to the tall one and never had a problem. But if it's actually only 3/16" thick, I wouldn't risk putting anything of value on them.

epgorge

Dec 29, 2006
USA
Thanks for this post. I read it and looked at my glass display and noticed the shelve bowing a bit from the weight of my Nine, QT Lightning jars. I rearranged them but first took them outside and took some shots of them and then put them back in the bottom shelf and moved all the medicines up to the upper shelf. Tuckered me out but I am glad I did it. I took some shots of them before I moved them back and put them on the photo gallery. Thanks for the warning. http://www.antique-bottle...oid=751&albumid=38Ep

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BillyB