welp, I just had literally the most successful day in bottle hunting I've ever had.

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

moodorf

Reaction score
Whats it say, I can't read it? LEON.
My bad yeah it's def illegible in that pic.

J. Niefergold / Hamburgh / n. y.

Funny thing is, officially the town of Hamburg, Ny dropped the extra H in 1877.
1680870576472.png

Two years before Hutchinson filed his patent for the stopper in 1879. Hmmmm.

Last edited:

moodorf

Reaction score
Sorry guys, this isn't another "I found another hutch post" but wait, don't go!

This is a sort of update.
I've been down there to the creekside maybe 4 more times, poking around for maybe an hour each time in this one concentrated area where I found the others. In terms of Hutchinson bottles, nothing but some fragments that look like they could have once been hutches:

20230408_175720.jpg

Can't really find anything else in this area except this art deco soda bottles
20230408_190901.jpg

I would bring one of these home when I couldn't find anything else these past few times. Now I've got like seven of these. I know this picture doesn't really show it that well, but they're all dinged up pretty bad including this one. Shame, really.

20230408_182244.jpg

also had snaek pop out of hill while digging, that will never not startle me haha
I also saw a beaver down there. Yeah really, I did....couldn't get a picture as he swam way pretty quick, but I found some trees nearby that looked suspiciously like they were felled by.....chewing. a while ago:
20230408_183036.jpg

what were we talking about again? oh right, antique glass! I did find two kind of plain but interesting bits these last two times down there.
20230410_144028.jpg

uranium glass salt shaker
20230410_144048.jpg

from what I can tell this is called a Jeanette flour shaker made with jadeite glass which I guess glows/is ever so slightly radioactive like uranium glass. I have no black light or means to test this.
I also found out the hard way there is a butt load of poison ivy down there. So yeah, I'm out of commission for digging for a lil bit lol

Last edited:

moodorf

Reaction score
Okay folks! I managed to get a steroid and antibiotic for the poison ivy, covered up my exposed skin and got back down there again. I found a stoneware type jar down there earlier. Already made a thread about that. Just went down again. I got lucky, which means you all get to hate me a liiiiiiittle bit again .;)

20230413_182209.jpg

Number six. I went back to the stoneware jar hole, scratched around, noticed some ashes coming out (always a great sign) and then I noticed during my vigorous scratching out of my peripherial, the exact shape I was looking for, rolling down the hill toward the creek. Thankfully, I didn't let it escape.
20230413_183729.jpg

Probably the most damaged of the lot, big old chip missing out of the lip. But the pictorial bit is more legible than the other one.

20230413_191739.jpg

20230413_191221.jpg

Last edited:

Mailman1960

Reaction score
Okay folks! I managed to get a steroid and antibiotic for the poison ivy, covered up my exposed skin and got back down there again. I found a stoneware type jar down there earlier. Already made a thread about that. Just went down again. I got lucky, which means you all get to hate me a liiiiiiittle bit again .;)

View attachment 245475
Number six. I went back to the stoneware jar hole, scratched around, noticed some ashes coming out (always a great sign) and then I noticed during my vigorous scratching out of my peripherial, the exact shape I was looking for, rolling down the hill toward the creek. Thankfully, I didn't let it escape.
View attachment 245476
Probably the most damaged of the lot, big old chip missing out of the lip. But the pictorial bit is more legible than the other one.

View attachment 245478
View attachment 245479

Mailman1960

Reaction score
There's no hate here, it's just masks the jealousy. Everybody will have their day sooner or later.
Giddy up

dario

Reaction score
Today was amazing.

Background: this area today I dug today I had dug a little before last fall, but I had sort of dismissed because the oldest/most desirable bottles I found near the surface were cool but aren't really my thing. Some 30's 40's art deco sort of bottles. but no cork top or mouth-blown bottles/antique bottles.

Then I found something that convinced me there could be antique bottles about.

View attachment 245225
View attachment 245226
View attachment 245227
View attachment 245228I found this bottle and yeah, I decided to keep going. But after a couple hours I was getting ready to head home....then I saw a familiar shape in the creek, on the creek bed....I reached my bare naked hand in the frigid cold water and....

View attachment 245229
My first found intact Hutchinson bottle. When I realized what I had I started doing this little dance, right there shin deep in the creek. After I examined the bottle and found it to be in "good" shape the water I was standing in had had time to settle and not be so stirred up.
I look down into the water again and at this point the digging is out of the picture. This had become about eyeballing this creekbed looking for more hutches. And wouldn't you know it.....

View attachment 245230

A second hutch, this one even better. When I realize this, my little shin-deep-in-the-muddy-creek dance has turned into something more akin to a football player doing a touchdown celebration while stuck in drying cement. I really hope no one saw me. Anyway, I do even more eyeballing but that's it, no more to be seen.

I walk back home (this place is within walking distance of my apartment) and come back with the proper tools, spend probably 2-3 more hours digging around (sun was fading at this point) and yeah I found.....

View attachment 245231
A smooth Hutch. Probably the best condition out of all of them. I found this one sort of....in the root system of a tree adjacent to the aforementioned creek bed area.

Then as I'm digging the above out of a root system, I see another nice broken hutch sticking out and ....it wasn't broken.

View attachment 245232

I know this all seems kind of crazy or made up and I really should have brought a camera but I stopped bringing them along to take in situ pics because every time I'd take a pic I'd dig it up only to realize it's just a large bottle fragment and wind up deleting the pic. Became unlucky to bring a camera in my eyes. That and I drop things.

But yeah. Best.....Digging.....Day.....Ever.

View attachment 245233
Good for you. I love when folks find cool stuff. That is so much of the real fun in this hobby!

moodorf

Reaction score
Thanks for all the cool comments :)
I don't think I can keep finding Hutches at this spot for much longer....I mean, my luck's gonna run out eventually or it'll just get to the point where I'll be all smug and will just rub it in every time I find another one here. I don't want to be that kind of guy.

....Just Kidding! Hutch Seven! hahaha
20230414_134934.jpg

Before I pulled it out and took the above pic I found a HUGE Marble:
20230414_134923.jpg

Seriously though, I did find a few broken hutches too
20230414_135115.jpg

Anyway, It's another slug blank Hutch. Only this one is more Green than all the others. It's almost like a coke green color.
20230414_142826.jpg

I went back a second time this evening. No more Hutchies, but two local milk bottles.
20230414_174831.jpg
20230414_175736.jpg
20230414_183229.jpg

20230414_143102.jpg

Last edited:

moodorf

Reaction score
Today....went down to the new spot again. I brought back a couple bottles on the morning trip....
20230415_081411.jpg

20230415_083831.jpg

a quart milk bottle and a slug plate crown soda bottle
20230415_084659.jpg

20230415_163919.jpg

20230415_090806.jpg

and here was the mid day trip. Another quart milk.
20230415_131930.jpg

20230415_164452.jpg

There was almost a number Eight, but it had a MASSIVE crack and wasn't worth bringing home. Despite having no chips and being in one piece. Kind of sad.
1681593373808.png

Last edited:

Lbrewer42

Reaction score
Congratulations on some amazing finds! This is the kind of thing I real enjoy reading about. I cannot get out to dig anymore. I only wish now that I had thought of, when I was digging, about making drinking glasses from the bottles I left behind b/c they were broken. I would have more sweet memories every time I opened the cupboard.

BTW - want to become impervious to poison ivy without spending any money? I used to be a survival camper as well. Find the plant names Jewel weed or Spotted Touch-Me-Not. I have cured so many people with this plant it is ridiculous (used to run a summer camp and cured countless campers). The plant typically grows near water.

Just break the stem and rub the (non-toxic) juice onto the area that was touched with poison ivy. The juice cancels out the ivy oil's (urushiol) ability to spread and cause irritation. This is applied after touching the ivy.

And if you have an outbreak b/c you did not know you were in contact with ivy to begin with, boil a 5 inch bundle of the Jewel Weed stems in water, add it to your bath water, repeat with same stems or new ones.
As long as the infected part is under the water, you can scratch that area until your feel there is no more itch. Even burst the blisters under the water. The ivy is dead...period.

For an already existent case on someone who has large blisters, I strap a piece of the plant stem onto the blister with a bandaid. The blister soon will be gone. Maybe change the stem to a fresh pice after a few minutes if not.

I know it sounds like a fairy tale, but if I break out in ivy, the jewel weed works so well for me that I am done with the ivy in 10 minutes. If I find myself in ivy, I get Jewel Weed, rub the opened stem on the area I know was exposed to the ivy, and ivy cannot show up.

Commercially they had trouble making anything from it b/c they could not find a way to preserve the jewel weed potency over time in an ointment. I used to boil it, freeze the bags of (now orange!) water, and pull one out when needed.

Sorry to be off topic...but I wanted to share this easy tip with fellow diggers...it changed me whole outlook with worrying about ivy.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mlzeigler