Welz and Zerwick run in progress

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

bottles_inc

Reaction score
20201226_161705.jpg

Welz and Zerwick bottles are pretty common around me. Was probably the most popular beer in NYC in the late 19th/early 20th. Ive been working on a complete collection exclusively from digging/finding in stores for fun. It would be easy to fill it out by buying stuff online, but this gives me something to do going through barren antique and thrift stores looking for rare local bottles. The two amber slug plate variants are actually pretty uncommon. I found those digging. Currently I'm missing a blob without the initial seal on the shoulder, the amber pictoral crown, and some ABM 1910s-20s variants. Theres also apparently a Baltimore loop version, but that might be rare enough I'd have to buy it online. Anyone else doing a run of a common bottler for fun?

Last edited:

logan.the.collector

Reaction score
I don't have many common runs complete believe it or not. But last year I started and finished a set of rare local Tip Top Dairy bottles by luck. A family member gave me my first quart and I found the corresponding half pint and pint in the local antique store. There is only one variety known from them but it still took a lot of time looking before they all came up at once.

embe

Reaction score
I searched Welz & Zerweck trying to figure out the logo. Is that Charlemagne?

bottles_inc

Reaction score
Could be. I've heard it described as a king. I think it's probably modeled after pre unification German kings, as the brewer's founder was a German immigrant. Here's an 1890s ad showing a drawing of the logo.
WZ-Ad2.jpg

UncleBruce

BEER DUDE
Reaction score
This is from WikiPedia
Gambrinus (/ ɡæmˈbraɪnəs / gam-BRY-nəs) is a legendary European culture hero celebrated as an icon of beer, brewing, joviality, and joie de vivre. Traditional songs, poems, and stories describe him as a king, duke, or count of Flanders and Brabant.

UncleBruce

BEER DUDE
Reaction score
Welz and Zerwick bottles are pretty common around me. Was probably the most popular beer in NYC in the late 19th/early 20th. Ive been working on a complete collection exclusively from digging/finding in stores for fun. It would be easy to fill it out by buying stuff online, but this gives me something to do going through barren antique and thrift stores looking for rare local bottles. The two amber slug plate variants are actually pretty uncommon. I found those digging. Currently I'm missing a blob without the initial seal on the shoulder, the amber pictoral crown, and some ABM 1910s-20s variants. Theres also apparently a Baltimore loop version, but that might be rare enough I'd have to buy it online. Anyone else doing a run of a common bottler for fun?
These are the variations I am aware of:

bottles_inc

Reaction score
Here's one of those ABM variants I mentioned. Its one of the ones not listed on Bruce Mobley's. Can't buy it off the web though, that'd be cheating. It'll turn up at a garage sale or goodwill eventually

UncleBruce

BEER DUDE
Reaction score
Here's one of those ABM variants I mentioned. Its one of the ones not listed on Bruce Mobley's. Can't buy it off the web though, that'd be cheating. It'll turn up at a garage sale or goodwill eventually
Embossing on the shoulder only, heel only, or base only don't get list in the library. Only center embossed with a reference to beer, brewery, brewing, lager etc...

Robert Biro

Reaction score
View attachment 215974

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mistymad28