What are these???

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

aridice53

Reaction score
Wow!! Cool find!!
I would love to come up there and tromp through your woods. I'd bring my metal detector!!

Char

zanes_antiques

Reaction score
This item really caught my eye. I have an affinity for wrought iron. That is an exceptional Trammel. It's the first one I've seen decorated in that manor. Let me know if you ever want to trade it for bottles.

steveinlanc

Reaction score
Cobaltbot... er, Steve, I am an afficionado of of old wrought and cast iron... commonly referred to as a "rust hunter" [:)] I've bought, sold and/or traded dozens of trammels over the years and the one you found with the decorative work is simply outstanding.

I would highly recommend that you at least do basic conservation on both pieces - steel wool and/or wire brush, a good slathering with WD-40 and finally a firm rubbing down with a bee's wax based preservative. We've had great luck with Howard's wax, although the rust collectors' world has, of course, a variety of specialty waxes "just for old iron".

GuntherHess - I have MAJOR hearth envy just now. Gosh darn you all to heck! [:mad:]

Steve (Cobalt Steve that is) - Where do you live? If you have stuff like that just lying in the woods I'd consider using some gas to come crawl around them on my hands & knees for a few days.

Just for reference, here's a chain trammel that was one of the nicest of the genre I think I ever had. It now lives in a zillion-dollar "Tuscan Villa" in Maryland.

BC03A5014589409C8EACB6A75B6E77F3.jpg

Attachments

• BC03A5014589409C8EACB6A75B6E77F3.jpg
    BC03A5014589409C8EACB6A75B6E77F3.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 70

Staunton Dan

Reaction score
While digging an 1850s-1860s era privy I found this bayonet that was bent to be used as a pot holder. Not exactly a trammel but an interesting item to say the least. I also found a civil war era musket with the ramrod stuck down the barrel plus the butt plate and the lock plate.

A22114B23EB14AB389ED38BC02E3F0C6.jpg

Attachments

• A22114B23EB14AB389ED38BC02E3F0C6.jpg
    A22114B23EB14AB389ED38BC02E3F0C6.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 65

cobaltbot

Reaction score
Thanks for the preseration info, I'd like to become better at preservation techniques and quit procrastinating on so much stuff - rust never sleeps....

I found these about a mile away from my property although I have found similar stuff on my place. My youngest daughter and I were metal detecting and she found hand forged fire place tongs. I've also found bottles of the previous owners of my house (1883) a cleaned out privy, a single shard of a historical flask and some nice finds in neighboring foundations that pre-date mine. Anyone is welcome to come look but you'd be hard pressed to find things I've missed, however a place is never completely hunted out so you never know. I wouldn't mind someday having a forum picnic on my place, not a dig invasion on the local populace, but a party. I think I will go back to see if I can't find the other parts to those. The smaller one has minor decoration ( a vee top). Matt that's a great fireplace, mine is only in the planning stage, project # 1,376. ***sigh*****
Dan, that's some cool finds, if I lived in the war zone I'd be in way more marital trouble than I already am for bottles!

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kennyg1960