What do you think?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

DiggerBryan

Reaction score
I happen to be driving around out in the country and spotted an old garage/barn. I got out and to my suprise there was also an old foundation. Now when I say old I mean OLD! I remembered from this website that some people dig cellar holes? Do you think it would be worth digging? I took a few pictures and I made an arrow with paint shop to show where I THINK the cellar hole was. Let me know what you think. Maybe it's not even worth checking out any further. I also noticed some glass laying in the foundation but it seemed to be screw top garbage.

Zx71804.jpg

Attachments

• Zx71804.jpg
    Zx71804.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 79

glopf43

Reaction score
Hey Bryan, looks like you may have somthing there [8D]! I would dig it from one end to the other. I think other's would agree that it is not just the cellar hole but the whole foundation that would be worth some effort. I would start at one wall, dig down deep and advance the hole across the whole area. The glass on the surface is NOT an indication of what may be beneath. I'm sure that hunter's, hiker's, etc. have tossed things into it for many years. DIG IT [sm=lol.gif]!!!

DiggerBryan

Reaction score
Hello Gary,
Thanks for the quick reply. I think I'm gonna try digging it. I'm really excited about what I might find. [:D] My grandfather has a metal detector so I think I might borrow it and do some detecting also. I'm pretty sure the house is very, very old. I think this because of the cemetary that is with 300 yards of the foundation. ( I'll have to get a picture) Most of the tombstones are very weathered and hard to make out. I could make a couple out and the deaths were around 1830-1860. YES! I think that is the pontil era? so maybe I'll dig something interesting. I'm hoping to maybe locate the privy but I don't know. I will keep you updated! Thanks again!

Pettydigger

Reaction score
Without a doubt old glass is around that area someplace Bryan. That foundation looks very old, try searching around the outskirts of the area for an old ditch or ravine you might be able to locate the familys old dumping site[;)]. Grab the shovels and probes and check out the suspected cellar hole. It looks like an old rural site/farming homestead in which finding the old privy can be very hard to do. Hope you come outta there with some bottles.
Josh

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bobbinc4