What is this bottle? Found in Iowa...

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Micsher

Reaction score
I recently found this bottle while geocaching in Iowa. It has the words, "Buy this bottle only in the Tin Top Safety Carton". I have seen it briefly identified as the Black Widow and Fly whiskey bottle, but I don't have any more information on it (i.e., year, approximate worth, etc.). It is approximately 8" tall (with cap), 3-3/4" wide, and 2-7/8" deep.

Can anybody identify with year and worth?

Thank you!

Jh15047.jpg

Attachments

• Jh15047.jpg
    Jh15047.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 87

preditor

Reaction score
[8|]If i am not mistaken and i very well may be, a friend of mine has a couple of these and he called it a spider pint, its a liquor bottle.
Some of you longtime bottle hunters correct me if necessary.

Preditor[8D]

whiskeyman

Reaction score
Collectors of these refer to them as "spiderweb" flasks/bottles. The majority of them were manufactured during Prohibition....1916-1933. A few are from Hiram Walker Distilling of Canada but most were labeled from the Frankfort Distillery of KY. or Baltimore,MD. I have also owned one from Mexico.

The flask occurs in several embossing variations:
With webbing, spider, & fly
With webbing & spider
With only webbing

During Prohibition whiskey was made/sold "for medicinal purposes only" and one had to have a Doctor's prescription to purchase a bottle. Many a Dr. made a fortune filling out such prescriptions. As a matter of a fact: lines formed outside their offices... [;)]

I imagine this distinctive flask was designed solely for this purpose, but have seen/owned other flasks with "for medicinal purposes only" labels that were of a different type. Paul Jones whiskey and Four Roses whiskey come to mind...They were also products of Frankfort Distilleries.

There is a collector in NC who has amassed quite a collection of these "spiderwebs" and is researching for info in order to write a book...Should be an interesting read.

whiskeyman

Reaction score
oh...the reference to a "tin topped safety can"...

The flasks were sold in either heavy cardboard with tin ends or enclosed all in tin. Like a small box. This was for security purposes and probably a requirement of the US Gov't. The boxes I have seen were quite attractive with colorful graphics...a collectible in themselves. Few have survived to this day, as they are rarely dug in any recognisable condition...most have been "attic finds."

diggermeister

Reaction score
Hello Micsher, I love that bottle of yours [8D]! I just found a bottle very like yours listed on eBay. This one still has all the labels and some interesting history written as well; Item #6177171182, "Prohibition Era Medicinal Whiskey - Spiritus Fermenti" is the title of the auction. I personally have found one of these also, BROKEN [&o]...

Micsher

Reaction score
Thanks for all the info. I am excited about my first find, and think I could get into this bottle collecting stuff!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carpenter