What is this

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

BDHurtzer67

Reaction score
I was told this is Vaseline glass by someone how do you tell for sure

Attachments

• IMG_20240309_143333749.jpg
    IMG_20240309_143333749.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 55
  • IMG_20240309_143341701.jpg
    IMG_20240309_143341701.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 49

Jpalm

Reaction score
From what I understand it will glow if put under a black light. Good luck with it!

Sitcoms

Reaction score
"Vaseline Glass" as you say is a nickname term given to glass from the 1920s-30s that is also known as Uranium or Depression Glass. These are usually a shade of green when seen in standard light, but due to the presence of Uranium in the glass they glow bright green when a blacklight is shined on them. In addition to Uranium Glass, some Manganese will also glow under a blacklight - though its coloring is usually closer to a yellow than a green.

That being said, most Uranium Glass was dinnerware - plates, platters, cups, bowls, etc., but some bottles were made out of it. I think yours is a refrigerator water bottle - it looks like ones from later time periods (60s-70s) that were made from clear glass and would slide in the door of your refrigerator.

The way to tell - test it out! Give it a good clean and shine a blacklight over it. (you can usually pick one up at a box store like walmart).

Jpalm

Reaction score
Just noticed e-bay has some vintage refrigerator water bottles somewhat similar to yours that are Vaseline Glass, so they are out there!
As Sitcoms said, clean it up and try it under a black light, hopefully it will glow!

BDHurtzer67

Reaction score
Just noticed e-bay has some vintage refrigerator water bottles somewhat similar to yours that are Vaseline Glass, so they are out there!
As Sitcoms said, clean it up and try it under a black light, hopefully it will glow!
Thanks for your help and knowledge

BDHurtzer67

Reaction score
"Vaseline Glass" as you say is a nickname term given to glass from the 1920s-30s that is also known as Uranium or Depression Glass. These are usually a shade of green when seen in standard light, but due to the presence of Uranium in the glass they glow bright green when a blacklight is shined on them. In addition to Uranium Glass, some Manganese will also glow under a blacklight - though its coloring is usually closer to a yellow than a green.

That being said, most Uranium Glass was dinnerware - plates, platters, cups, bowls, etc., but some bottles were made out of it. I think yours is a refrigerator water bottle - it looks like ones from later time periods (60s-70s) that were made from clear glass and would slide in the door of your refrigerator.

The way to tell - test it out! Give it a good clean and shine a blacklight over it. (you can usually pick one up at a box store like walmart).
Thanks for your help and knowledge

Jpalm

Reaction score
You are most welcome! Would love to hear if it does turn out to be Vaseline glass.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lichen