What I've Seen Along The Way

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Tony14

Reaction score
WAIT A MINUTE I just got an idea. Those look just like some old posts from piers on Lake Winnebago (about 10 min. from house) Look at some old maps and see if in the past that lake was any bigger than it is now.

RazorsEdge

Reaction score
I just checked and the earliest pic i could get was 7 years ago and if anything it was much smaller. I am wondering if it has something to do with the pioneers that lived here.....those gravestones are only about a mile from this. Did they have the capabilities to make conctrete and steel back then? even if so, i am still at a loss for what these are....trees 4-6 inches thick....thats at least 30 years old, right? because that would mean it has been there for at least that long

RazorsEdge

Reaction score
haha im the one who found em how do you think i feel! and the one down the way washed into the water....thats even more confusing....i cant figure out where it went...and that means its not a pair....its a trio.....[:(] i wanna knooooooooooooow! haha The lake is fairly small too....here ill post an arial photo of the area

RazorsEdge

Reaction score
arial

Yw66790.jpg

Attachments

• Yw66790.jpg
    Yw66790.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 70

stefan

Reaction score
Greetings:
Is it possible that it was the support structure for a mill of some sort? From the looks of the structures, it appears that the one on the left has settled, possibly due to flowing water.
I will think on this some more, and ask my co-workers, we are an industrial construction company.

diggermeister

Reaction score
Hey All, Well, I thought it was funny; although the galactic counsel did not [&:].
Anyway, I see in the aerial photo that there is some sort of mining or cement factory etc. very near the location of the "structures". Perhaps they have been using this overall area for a long time and the "structures" are the left over foundations for a crane or some other equipment etc.
Or maybe they have been just dumped there as no longer useful for there intended purpose [8|]...

RazorsEdge

Reaction score
Well, I FOUND OUT! Wahoooooooooooo. haha Actually its funny that you mentioned that because youre not far off.....That large area you are referring to is a gravel pit....I talked to another guy excavating this area and he said that the run off lake i was talking about used to be a gravel pit....His theory was that when you are working a pit, they have large machines with gigantic steel buckets that are attached by steel cables. The machines drag the bottom of the lake and the bucket scoops the sand and mud off the bottom so that they can get to the rock. Well apparently, attach cables from the machine to those concrete structures (the metal part i pictured), so that when dragging the bottom it wont pull the machine in the lake. That is the current theory, though there are no other signs of a gravel pit in the area....Even though this would have been many years ago, I still dont understand how the area is so wooded....you can see in the picture. Maybe I will go ask the gravel pit manager?

RazorsEdge

Reaction score
like i said, thats just a theory....i may never know for sure![:mad:]

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agrounds1