What Should I Do?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

JENLUVSBOTTLES

Reaction score
Got this one yesterday at a shop I know always has a lot of bottles. I think it was 6 or 8 bucks. We got a few bottles so she even gave us a discount. The history of the bottle is awesome! Jacob Spencer Merrell founded the first "drug house" west of the Mississippi in 1846. He died suddenly in 1885, leaving charge of his business to several young men that incorporated into the J.S. Merrell Drug Co. They were one of the leading drug companies in St. Louis for a long time. There's a ton of history on the web about Merrell and his company. My question is, should I have this bottle tumbled? It's pretty stained. Not a heavy thick stain, just an overall haze. There are two spots in the lip where cracks have started. Their only about 1/4"-3/8" long and stop in the thick part of the lip. No missing glass or chips. Are the risks minimal? I figure with the shape and thickness of the lip, there's only a slight chance of catastrophe. The glass is hammered and would look amazing clean.

102_1590.jpg

102_1594.jpg

kwalker

Reaction score
Thats a nice bottle, should look even nicer tumbled. I'd say that if the bottle is worth it to you, then go for it. The risk isn't really there if you're dealing with the professional tumbler. That'll sure look nice all polished up.

blobbottlebob

Reaction score
Just my humble opinion, but I like it better the way it is. Its already cracked so, who cares if it has a little haze and wear. That's the real history of what you have. I'd leave it just the way it is and take pride that there aren't that many iron pontilled bottles around. Oh no it looks like its over 150 years old. Wait, it is over 150 year old. Neat bottle by the way.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ROC.NYbottles