What to do about a move

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
An old friend (87) is basically told she is moving to Canada by her daughter. The house is sold and she's left with the rest of the clean up. I'm trying to help even though I've known her about all my life and would rather she stayed. I think she would rather stay also.
She is the mother of my best friend Al that passed away in 1991.
The furniture donation people keep saying they be there but don't show. She sold some things, but they paid next to nothing and haven't shown to collect the stuff.
Irene is frazzled with 3 weeks left until closing and move date but her daughter doesn't get here from Holland until 3 days before the move.
She's panicking and I'm trying to help. I've tried to convince her that there isn't anything left that can't be done in two days tops with a small truck and a storage or dump run but it's rough.

I guess I'm frazzled too but I couldn't finish the clean out until her daughter gets here anyway to load the car with the VERY FEW things there driving up with. It sounds like she's getting stuck in a home but it's all being done from way overseas.

Thanks for letting me vent.

frozenmonkeyface

Reaction score
I hate to hear that! It is always a sad thing when someone is forced out of their home, under any circumstance.

If no one shows to get the belongings that she isn't taking may I suggest calling a local charity? Usually they will do free pick ups and you will not have to use gas to dispose of the things. I know she probably wishes she could stay. =(

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
Two weeks to go and the "donation" people just picked and chose. I guess it's down to pay to have it picked up, thrown out or picked up and sold buy one of those junk removers. I suspect the junkers will charge and then sell it too. There is still some great stuff but I don't have the facilities to handle it. I wish I did, what a business that must be.
The furniture may be out of style but it's clean, maybe retro or mid century modern which gets good bucks if you watch the TV shows. [:D]

Penn Digger

Reaction score
Sounds like some sad BS to me if she is able minded and wanting to stay. Maybe her "kin" are selfishly just making it easier on themselves in the long run? Less to deal with later on perhaps. I have seen this before. Poor person probably already signed some piece of paper giving others the right to decide their fate. You should try to keep in touch with her as best you can though.

PD

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
I've never been so angry in my life![:mad:][:mad:][:mad:][:mad:][:mad:][:mad:][:mad:]
With no help at all from the daughter, I'm hearing that some stuff that was destined to the dump by her mom is now wanted back. [:mad:][:mad:][:mad:] It seems more than ever she should have come in more than a day before moving time.
Where was she when stuff was being packed and discarded? Not here, that's for sure. She's not due in until the day of the move or a day prior.
I knew there was a reason I never liked her as a teen and later, I just couldn't piece it together back when I was young.

sandchip

Reaction score
Eric, I'm sorry that you and the lady are having a hard time. No sense in putting somebody through such as this.

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: cowseatmaize

I've never been so angry in my life![:mad:][:mad:][:mad:][:mad:][:mad:][:mad:][:mad:]
With no help at all from the daughter, I'm hearing that some stuff that was destined to the dump by her mom is now wanted back. [:mad:][:mad:][:mad:] It seems more than ever she should have come in more than a day before moving time.
Where was she when stuff was being packed and discarded? Not here, that's for sure. She's not due in until the day of the move or a day prior.
I knew there was a reason I never liked her as a teen and later, I just couldn't piece it together back when I was young.

I would buy the daughter a book [8D] hint hint

7A2C339EBE0845069A1B7A9EAD2F3982.jpg

Attachments

• 7A2C339EBE0845069A1B7A9EAD2F3982.jpg
    7A2C339EBE0845069A1B7A9EAD2F3982.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 61

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member