What to do?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

BottleEnthusiast

Reaction score
So I live in a neighborhood built in the 2000's that was originally a farm that went back to the 1850s. My neighborhood has creeks from the farm that they couldnt build over. I was walking one of those and pretty much only 40s-60s dumps, and I found one top of a civil war era bottle. I cant find anything else like it and no dump or anything. Any other ideas to help?

Thanks in advance

Len

CT LEN
Reaction score
Arte Johnson would say "Very interesting..." Chances are there's more there than you think. Its probably deeper (and wetter.) The time period and location of the original old farmhouse and it's out buildings is your starting years range. Being in Maryland there is certainly opportunities for Civil War finds. Let the fun begin! (Just remember to get permission first.) Good luck and bring us back a cannon--Boom! ;) .

Last edited:

willong

Reaction score
So I live in a neighborhood built in the 2000's that was originally a farm that went back to the 1850s. My neighborhood has creeks from the farm that they couldnt build over. I was walking one of those and pretty much only 40s-60s dumps, and I found one top of a civil war era bottle. I cant find anything else like it and no dump or anything. Any other ideas to help?

Thanks in advance
If you found that fragment in the creek it had to get there somehow. Unless it was a solitary discard from an old bridge crossing, pitched from an adjacent rail line, wagon road or trail, its source could well be a dumpsite somewhere upstream of where you located it. You are now faced with the same dilemma that challenges placer gold miners: how to find the mother lode. The answer is the same: prospect.

Like gold nuggets and flakes, bottles and glass fragments will work their way downslope and downstream with erosion events. If the bottle is not quite as old as you think, and if it indeed came from a trash dump, then there is likely to be an accumulation of deteriorated tin cans at the site. That provides you with an advantage if you own or have access to a metal detector; just remember to not discriminate. It is also much easier to probe for a dump buried by natural processes than a deliberately capped one or a privy pit.

ROBBYBOBBY64

Reaction score

Thanks in advance
Maybe came from up stream further?
ROBBYBOBBY64.

BottleEnthusiast

Reaction score
I have looked up stream but have not probed or metal detected. When I looked it was summer so maybe I should look now without all the undergrowth.

Side fact: The farm had slaves on it. Its very creepy to live in a place that once had forced laborers

ROBBYBOBBY64

Reaction score
I have looked up stream but have not probed or metal detected. When I looked it was summer so maybe I should look now without all the undergrowth.

Side fact: The farm had slaves on it. Its very creepy to live in a place that once had forced laborers
early spring is my favorite time. At times the water is high. no bugs or brush or grass to hide your view.
ROBBYBOBBY64.

Len

CT LEN
Reaction score
I'm more of a late Fall guy (not unlike Lee Majors?). Both times are good. ...Watch what you bring home. Maybe give a little recognition before that. The paranormal shows are full of that kind of experience where negative aspects of history/trauma has taken place...

Len

CT LEN
Reaction score
Hey Hemi, et al
You're right on both those counts... Results may vary depending on the local conditions...
Around my place lately its the coyote packs that are the killers. Neighborhood backyard ranchers, their run wild pets, and strays usually fall victim. Lately the rarer bear(s) passing through "plows the road." We did actually had a case in my state where a hunter shot his wife and claimed he thought she was a deer in court. (He was declared innocent.) Some have labeled this "Divorce CT Style." Around my place the Fall is less crowed. The tourista peepers usually head up to VT/elsewhere.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mlzeigler