where to dig

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

thebottleguy

Reaction score
I recentlly bought 11 and a half acres out of town. it's a wooded area nice and there's a house foundation on it I did some research and it was occupied by otto and claria essex it was abandoned in the 50s there's a spring house about 50 yds in back. but i can't find out where the outhouse was. could any of you guys tell me about where it would be.like how far away. any help would be greatly appreciated

epackage

Reaction score
Figure out which area is the backyard, think close enough so that you could get in and out without freezing in the winter, yet far enough away so that you didn't smell it in the warmer months...

Look for depressions in the ground and get yourself a probe, or contact someone nearby in the local bottle club or thru this forum that has experience and is willing to do the dig with you. Good luck.. Jim

pyshodoodle

Reaction score
Check along tree lines/gullies/stone walls, etc for dumping areas. Most farms did their dumping away from the house in hidden areas, rather than in the privy... they had the space, they used it. Townies didn't have the same luxury. Not saying there's nothing in a farm privy, but there are probably other areas where most of the dumping was done.

botlguy

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: epackage
Figure out which area is the backyard, think close enough so that you could get in and out without freezing in the winter, yet far enough away so that you didn't smell it in the warmer months...

Look for depressions in the ground and get yourself a probe, or contact someone nearby in the local bottle club or thru this forum that has experience and is willing to do the dig with you. Good luck.. Jim
Excellent advise. That is exactly what I would tell you.

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: pyshodoodle

Check along tree lines/gullies/stone walls, etc for dumping areas. Most farms did their dumping away from the house in hidden areas, rather than in the privy... they had the space, they used it. Townies didn't have the same luxury. Not saying there's nothing in a farm privy, but there are probably other areas where most of the dumping was done. 

What she said. When ever I hear the words "farm and land" I say "LOOK FOR THE DUMPS!" [;)]

epackage

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: RICKJJ59W

E doesn't even dig privy's what the hell are you talking about. He knows all and tells all.[;)]
I just went by previous posts by you, I have been your faithful student, no need to disparage me...[:(]

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: epackage

E doesn't even dig privy's what the hell are you talking about. He knows all and tells all.[;)]
I just went by previous posts by you, I have been your faithful student, no need to disparage me...[:(]

No your right its just that its a farm with land the rules are not the same.

epackage

Reaction score
No your right its just that its a farm with land the rules are not the same.
His original question was about finding the outhouse, so that's what I tried to answer... [X(]

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tasha85