Where's the bottom?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

glopf43

Reaction score
Hey all, as most of you diggers know I am working an old farm with three known privey pits (see "I found the throne, now what" posted on this forum). I am about 7' down the first one and the soil seems to be changing. It is becoming much more sandy and seems now to be like the regular dirt in the area. The hard packed "poop" is all but removed. I seem to be at the botom of the liner as well. This is the botom of the privey, right?? By the way I found only one bottle. It seems to be a "modern" medicine, clear w/plastic cap and worthless. Except to me, it is my first privey find after all! I would send a photo but I don't want to waist your time. If you have not seen the other post I have in this forum (listed above) in a couple days I added some new pics of "the dig". Thanks Again for all of your advice and encouragement! I can't wait to get at that next hole...

oldshoe4u

Reaction score
Hey youve got 1 more privy dig in than I do! Great job finding it and clearing it out even if it didn't produce much it's still great experience. I'll bet there's some goodies still around in the older pits. Good luck!

grimdigger1

Reaction score
Know the feeling about wheres the bottom..We dont dig privvys here in the Uk but we do dig some crazy sites,this one an old railway embankment,with a litle bit of capping to shift to getto the ash and bottles

Eb86625.jpg

Attachments

• Eb86625.jpg
    Eb86625.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 64

glopf43

Reaction score
Hey grimdigger, thats quite a hole. I see some bottles laying nearby, anything good? What else do you find commonly at such a site? Got any photos? Since I am still a novice digger I am full of questions (among other things!); When did they start using concrete liners? Any one know of any good books or other resources on the subject of privy/dump digging? Where can I find a decent Probe? What other tools or supplies are helpful? When will I KNOW that I have found the bottom? ANY advice from you more experienced diggers is always welcome...THANKS!!!

Leisalu

Reaction score
Hello grimdigger1;
Now that's a hole ! I've often wondered why most diggers in the UK don't dig privies ??? Can anyone ansewer that burning question for me ?

Latest posts

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bobbinc4