Wild West Whiskey Bottle

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

jays emporium

Reaction score
I recently found a bottle that looks like a 32 ounce drug store bottle but I suspected it was a whiskey because it does not say anything about druggist or pharmacy. With just a little research I found out this bottle is from the K & K Saloon in Springfield, Mo. which is tied to the first recorded shootout in US history between Wild Bill Hickok and Dave Tutt in 1865. Here is a quote from the Springfield Missouri website,
"1865
'Wild Bill' Hickok
In the wake of the Civil War, Springfield helped give birth to the Wild West era. In July 1865, the town square was the site of the nation's first recorded shootout. The incident between "Wild Bill" Hickok and Dave Tutt was also significant due to the incredible marksmanship exhibited by Hickok that made him known worldwide. Following a poker game in Kelly Kerr Saloon on Park Central Square, Tutt claimed Hickok owed him money and took his pocket watch as collateral. Tutt claimed he would wear it in public to show that Hickok didn't pay his debts. The next day from 75 yards away, Tutt fired a shot at Hickok, barely missing his head. Hickok fired back and killed Tutt with a bullet through the heart. The event made nationwide news."
Here is a link to a story about the incident for anyone who is interested in that sort of thing.
http://www.thewesternonline.com/duelinspringfield.html
Some interesting stuff related to this bottle.
Jay

06729DC8C5144587A3B728EE1CEA07DC.jpg

Attachments

• 06729DC8C5144587A3B728EE1CEA07DC.jpg
    06729DC8C5144587A3B728EE1CEA07DC.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 102

Plumbata

Reaction score
Nice piece!

Not sure about the quart size, but those bottles turn up somewhat frequently, both BIM and ABM. Yours being large and apparently BIM is certainly a plus. Thanks for sharing!

ScottBSA

Reaction score
Nice find and a great story to go with the bottle and saloon. I live in Kansas City and don't consider myself as living in the west, but everyone east of the Mississippi thinks I live in the west.

Scott

jays emporium

Reaction score
The K & K Saloon bottle is on ebay now. Here is a link to my current auctions. Thanks for the comments.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&_okw=&_oexkw=&_adv=1&_udlo=&_udhi=&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo=&_sabdhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=200&_fpos=&_fsct=&LH_SALE_CURRENCY=0&_fss=1&_fsradio=%26LH_SpecificSeller%3D1&_saslop=1&_sasl=jays-emporium&_sop=1&_dmd=1&_ipg=50

jays emporium

Reaction score
Wild Bill's bottle closes tonight. Not going as high as I expected so far. Some other bottles that are pure junk are higher than the K&K bottle right now. That's what I love about ebay though, making money outta nothin.

epackage

Reaction score
I like the Pickle and the Peanut Butter, if they were from Paterson they would be mine!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tasha85