Wistarburgh 1740 to 1750 ( mallet ) or Porter bottle.

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Steve/sewell

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: AntiqueMeds

looks like its lost a lot of glass through devitrification. I'd like to see an attic example.
Gees, Matt sorry I let you down,[X(] my example has been depleted of ALL its atitticnesnessississississ.[8D] When I find a mint one if I can afford it Ill send you the first picture of it.....[8|] I agree this bottle has seen the elements for quite a while but I think it ads charm to its tale and shows it age while a mint example would be cleaner and more original looking the weathering effect in this case shows the age in real time.

Oldihtractor

Reaction score
Steve great one !! I saw it but couldn't bid has ben a tough year here also. I think it is great that it is in NJ where in belongs as for condition It's freakin awesome. Some people have no idea what old really is and don't know how to keep thier poor opinions to them selves.. there are attic mint ones in collection in the town here in alloway. But we all can't have perfection.

The snuff was an awesome bottle too.

epackage

Reaction score
Nice mallet Steve, congrats...Mom & your better half did you right...[;)]

Steve/sewell

Reaction score
Thanks everyone I am a lucky man married to a beautiful woman and My Mom is the best. I was so surprised when this arrived. The bottle is unreal, I am afraid to have it around to be truthful.I showed my dad yesterday and he is someone who could care less about bottles and he was quite impressed.The color is out of this world yellow green.I have another bottle similar to this one which had the same patterns in the glass

bostaurus

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: Oldihtractor

Steve great one !! I saw it but couldn't bid has ben a tough year here also. I think it is great that it is in NJ where in belongs as for condition It's freakin awesome. Some people have no idea what old really is and don't know how to keep thier poor opinions to them selves.. there are attic mint ones in collection in the town here in alloway. But we all can't have perfection.

The snuff was an awesome bottle too.

Geez guys, what is the point of jumping on Matt for saying it has some devitrification. It is one of the things you notice about it right off. He was just stating an observation.
Personally I would love to see a mint example also. One could say that of any antique bottle and still be happy with a less than perfect one you have in your collection.
Wonderful story and a great bottle by the way.

Steve/sewell

Reaction score
I was only jousting with Matt, Melinda,Hence the smileys and the other emotion figure. I guess John Olditractor read into what Matt said a little deeper then I, no harm from anyone.I only post to enlighten the masses and John being a fellow Jersey boy had my back.[8D]

earlyglasscollector

Reaction score
It's totally refreshing coming on here amongst you guys who have real interest in the actual history of their bottles. A bottle like this in UK would generally be poopooed, EVEN if it was also attributable to one of our early glasshouses, but then we are totally spoiled here for choice and availability.
Having said that there is a strong surge of interest here now of earlyglass with character aging patinas, just like yours Steve. Some of the iridescent examples with rainbow colours would now fetch mint comparable prices. For a long while now I've been involved in dealing with genuine wreck attributable items which although they can be basic common forms, and sometimes in poor condition, cracked or bits missing, still have a value (when they are certificated) in excess of common mint unnatributed examples, which is all to the good i think.
It's great to feel your enthusiasm over this piece to and your pride in owning it. My one very minor quibble would be if it could be just a little better condition, JUST for the reasons of being able to really closely compare the very subtle styling and shaping and tooling /pontil marks etc, that identify this (and possible future examples) as being Wistarburg (or whereever). Some of this might be lost or "smudged" when a good amount of layer is lost, but hey it has to be a rare and significant piece with a meaningful association for early American glass history. I just wish we had similar items here, and a similar attutude.....
Regards
Mark earlyglass www.earlyglass.com

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
Nice bottle for sure but I'm more interested in how they made the "C". There where is always nice to know but I don't see the how. I would think it's nearly impossible for the time frame of free blown, rolled, paddled, dip molded or whatever. I guess a dip mold could but wouldn't the "C" get ruined in the final steps?
Can you direct me to a good reference on the true how they made the glass back then? Please don't say Van den Bossche, I can't afford that one.[:eek:]

Steve/sewell

Reaction score
Thanks Mark for a nice write up,I too wish the enthusiasm for the older glass here in the states would be greater than it sometimes is. Later today I am going Fossil Hunting my whole town is buzzing because of the dinosaur finds in the last 3 years. One day, I would like to have one of those Examples from Great Britain in my collection. Again this Wistarburgh bottle is really a British bottle for all intensive purposes as it was made in the early years of the glass works 1739 to 1750.
The Wistar family was very grateful to the crown for allowing German immigrants the opportunity to succeed in the new land. I would love to see more of your collection Mark in the future.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnny Rocky