Workers Find 193-Year-Old Whiskey Bottle

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

digdug

Reaction score
Interesting story I found on internet this morning!

Workers Find 193-Year-Old Whiskey Bottle Wed May 18, 7:17 PM ET

Workers restoring a chimney in an old house here found what they believe to be a 193-year-old bottle of whiskey on a hidden shelf just above the fireplace.

Chuck Clapham, owner of Masonry Restoration, said he thinks the masonry crew probably left the half-full bottle behind when they built the chimney nearly two centuries ago.

The label was tattered, he told the MetroWest Daily News of Framingham, but Clapham's son Michael could still make out a date on it: 1812. A broken cork was lodged in the top, and dark liquid sloshed around inside.

Kristin Foster, who has lived in the house on Fiske Street with her family since 1996, said she could not make out the name of the whiskey bottling company on the faded label. But below the address the label clearly reads "opposite Faneuil Hall Market," a reference to the historic meeting house in downtown Boston. The bottle also has a stamp on the back that reads "full pint."

A second bottle found Tuesday appears to have contained acid, Clapham said.

Clapham said he often finds artifacts buried behind walls. He has recovered wedding rings, silver coins and shoes.

RazorsEdge

Reaction score
YES!!! now i have the perfect excuse to go destroy some peoples walls! WAHOOO!

digdug

Reaction score
Re: Photo of bottles Workers Find 193-Year-Old Whiskey Bottle

I did find a photo for it. Not a great one.

Ge95034.jpg

Attachments

• Ge95034.jpg
    Ge95034.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 76

digdug

Reaction score
That is what I thought too. I bet the label says something like the whiskey company was founded in 1812, and since some of the label is missing, they assumed the bottle was from 1812. Plus-it is a more exciting news story to say it is 193 years old. (Anything to sell one more paper!!)
I bet whatever year it is from, that whiskey has one hell of a kick to it!!

GuntherHess

Reaction score
Look like 1890-1900 bottles.
I would like to see a nice 1812 Whiskey with a label.
Was Stoddard making flasks that early?

diggermeister

Reaction score
I have to agree that those bottles could NOT be as old as reported. They seem way to "perfect" to be a pontiled bottle as they should be if that old, I suppose. No bubbles, too symmetrical, lip too even if not altogether wrong for the early 1800s, too consitant a thickness...etc...[&:]
I'm going on the knowlege I have gleened from this site and some other readings. Please, Tell me if my assumptions are wrong; that I may learn more of this fascinating hobby [sm=lol.gif]!!

swizzle

Reaction score
Are you sure the label didn't read "since 1812" A company that's been around awhile will often use this to show the companies age and integrety. Swiz

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alatide