any info on a Teddy's Pet bottle?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

stephengray

Reaction score
This is shaped like a nurser bottle but the embossing is this: Teddy's Pet on bottom and on top is For Your Baby, Testimony, Ceremony, Matrimony, Alimony, Easy Money, and then Nothing Doing. I think it is a liquor or whiskey bottle. Anybody got any ideas as to rarity or value? I dug it up and it is one of my favorite odd bottles.

482534FD049E4A249EE0F35A9BA40203.jpg

Attachments

• 482534FD049E4A249EE0F35A9BA40203.jpg
    482534FD049E4A249EE0F35A9BA40203.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 120

ancientdigger69

Reaction score
shaped like a nurser bottle. very interesting it has adult themed embossing on it. could have been a promo whiskey or liquor item used as a give away. very cool!!

LC

Reaction score
I believe it is a nurser even with the odd wording .

Kafroodi

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new here, so I am just reading this note. I also have one of these bottles; my information is that it is a whisky bottle, originally designed to hang around the neck of the Teddy Bear. I'm not positive on all this, but it seems logical.

surfaceone

Reaction score
Hey Stephen,

I think your instincts are right on the money.
teddy'spet.jpg
teddy'spet1.jpg
teddy'spet2.jpg
teddy'spet3.jpg
teddy'spet4.jpg
" RARE WHISKEY NIPPER 19 4" tall or long, baby feeder shape. clear glass, changing light amethyst. Tooled top with smooth base. Embossed on the front:" FOR THE BABY / 5-10 TESTIMONY / 10-15 CEREMONY / 15-20 MATRIMONY / 20-30 ALIMONY / 30-40 EASY MONEY / ( at base ) NOTHING DOING ". Embossed on the back: ( at shoulder ) " TEDDY'S PET / ( at base ) PEACEFUL NIGHTS ". Bottle is in mint condition with only a very light inside cloudiness on the base or back, not bad! I believe this to be a western whiskey bottle. I have only found one reference to this bottle in an old Pacific Glass Auction catalog. It said that their bottle was found in Nevada. No chips, dings, scratches, cracks, or bad stain. A nice rare nipper! $195.00 From.

I dug it up and it is one of my favorite odd bottles.

This is me, hoping to hear more backstory on that dig. It'd definitely be one of my favorite "odd bottles," as well. Thanks for putting it up.

page_ko_pin_ups_25_02_0802201607_id.jpg

helgramike

Reaction score
I have had several of these and believe I still have one packed away with the paper label from a saloon in Nebraska. Word is that they were given away by one of Teddy Roosevelt's opponents during one of his presidential campaigns. The alimony, matrimony, etc. references were directed at Teddy's brother who had just gone through a messy and well reported divorce. The bottles were given out holding whiskey for the gents and candy for the ladies. I have seen another example with paper label from another bar in a different state. Anyway, this is the story I was given by a political collector and I haven't heard a better one.

Michael

www.millerantiques.com

surfaceone

Reaction score
I have had several of these and believe I still have one packed away with the paper label from a saloon in Nebraska. Word is that they were given away by one of Teddy Roosevelt's opponents during one of his presidential campaigns. The alimony, matrimony, etc. references were directed at Teddy's brother who had just gone through a messy and well reported divorce.

Hello Michael,

That really is a great story! Here's hoping you're rooting around in old boxes as I hunt & peck. I'd really like to see that labelled example.

Elliott was Teddy's only brother. Sounds as if he was a bit of a handful.

"Elliott Roosevelt, born 28 February 1860, New York City, New York; heir (although he held no salaried work position, he was called a “sportsman†by his daughter Eleanor Roosevelt, indicating his occupation of big game hunting, his letters about which were later edited and published by her); in his early adulthood he was listed by title as junior partner in a real estate firm, and in 1892, a brief stint at mine development in Abingdon, Virginia; died 14 August 1894, New York City, New York

Elliott Roosevelt suffered from acute alcoholism and narcotic addiction, perhaps as a result of a vaguely described “nervous sickness†first manifested when he was a young adult. Some speculate that it may have been epilepsy. At 30, he made a trip around the world, and his fellow shipmates were his fourth cousin James Roosevelt and his wife Sara Delano Roosevelt. Elliott Roosevelt was soon after asked to serve as godfather to their son Franklin – who (after Elliott’s death) would become his son-in-law. Between 1890 and 1891, during what was his third overseas trip, this time with his wife and two children at the time, Elliott Roosevelt was committed to an asylum in France by his family. A year later, his brother Theodore Roosevelt committed him to the Keeley Center in Dwight, Illinois to seek treatment for his alcohol addiction." From.

Elliott was also Eleanor's Daddy
EleanorRoosevelt.jpg

drunksm.jpg
Digger Odell has a great page on Keeley, ovah heah.
keeleyportrait.jpg

keeleyad.jpg

Meanwhile, I'll be doin the Frug till you find that labelled Teddy's Pet.

b3.jpg

helgramike

Reaction score
I'll see what I can do to find the labeled example. Both of the labeled ones I have seen were from bars so I am quite sure the nurser idea was a part of the political sacasm.

Michael

www.millerantiques.com

helgramike

Reaction score
Here is a photo of the papered labeled example I have. It is from a liquor distributor from Omaha, Nebraska.

Michael

www.millerantiques.com

57D8A43041994FAF8553AE7988DFA73C.jpg

Attachments

• 57D8A43041994FAF8553AE7988DFA73C.jpg
    57D8A43041994FAF8553AE7988DFA73C.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 106

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads