French Square 30 oz bottle with NP and shamrock - 1870s-80s? Canadian?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

SergioWilkins

Reaction score
Hey, all!

yesterday I picked this oddball piece up from a local thrift shop and I'm a bit stumped. I'd appreciate any help. Here are the particulars about this one:

On the front it has the large letters "NP" embossed on either side of a shamrock shape, all contained within a rectangular box. I don't see any other markings.
Square shaped (I'm told it's called a "French Square")
Colourless/flint glass
BIMAL with collared ring lip
It has a recessed circle on the unmarked base
It's quite large at 9 3/4" (~25 cm) tall by 3 3/4" (~8.3 cm) squared.

I'm located in London, Ontario, and that's where this piece turned up. I'm not suggesting it's definitely from this area but it's a start on a piece I have no other clues about really. I'm not sure if it's a Canadian-made bottle but it certainly could be. Personally, I think it has a European look to it but the shape and glass colour are odd for European export bottles I've found around here.
It's in spectacular condition for what appears to be an 1870s-80s bottle - no mineral etching and only a light bit of scuffing and wear on the base and sides.
Any opinions/suggestions are certainly appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_3682.jpg
    IMG_3682.jpg
    167.7 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_3683.jpg
    IMG_3683.jpg
    325.6 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_3686.jpg
    IMG_3686.jpg
    321.2 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
It's not one I recognize, definitely not an easy one to Google. It's got a bit of an embalming fluid look to me, they often had that shape and style of top.

RIBottleguy

Reaction score
The lip style dates it to the 1910s era, if it was older the lip wouldn't have the lower reinforcing band.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lichen